Calculate Azimuth of BC: Homework Help

• Thread starter coolguy16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the azimuth of BC based on given information. The speaker is questioning the given azimuth of AB and has calculated the back azimuth to be 306°55'17''. They also mention adding an interior angle to get 178°18'58'', but are unsure about the relationship between the azimuths of AB and BC. The responder clarifies that the given 126°55'17'' is a bearing from North and the wider arc around the B arc is misleading.
coolguy16

Homework Statement

In the attachment. Need to calculate azimuth of BC.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the azimuth of AB would be given as 126 degrees when it is almost a complete revolution of 360 degrees. I calculated the back azimuth which would be 306°55'17''. (126°55'17"+180°=306°55'17'').I added the interior B angle and got 178°18'58". But how could the of BC be greater then AB? Please help me. Thanks!

Attachments

• l.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a B arc labelled angle B and then there is a wider arc around that B arc. That wider arc is completely deceptive.

The 126 55 17 is a bearing from N.

Thanks for replying. Does that mean my answer is correct?

What is the Azimuth of BC and why is it important?

The Azimuth of BC is the angle between the north direction and the direction of BC line. It is important in navigation and surveying as it helps determine the direction of an object or location relative to a fixed reference point, such as true north.

How do you calculate the Azimuth of BC?

The Azimuth of BC can be calculated using the formula: Azimuth = arctan((BC x cos(Lat))/ (EC x sin(Lat))), where BC is the easting coordinate of BC, EC is the easting coordinate of the central meridian, and Lat is the latitude of the location.

What are the units of measurement for the Azimuth of BC?

The Azimuth of BC is typically measured in degrees, with north being 0 degrees, east being 90 degrees, south being 180 degrees, and west being 270 degrees. However, it can also be measured in radians or mils.

What is the difference between Azimuth and Bearing?

Azimuth refers to the direction of an object or location relative to a fixed reference point, while bearing refers to the direction of an object or location relative to the observer's location. Azimuth is measured clockwise from north, while bearing is measured clockwise from the observer's direction of travel.

How is the Azimuth of BC used in real-world applications?

The Azimuth of BC is used in various fields such as geology, astronomy, and satellite imagery to determine the direction of an object or location. It is also used in navigation systems, land surveying, and mapping to accurately plot and measure locations and distances.