Prove mathematically that the lengths of the crank....

• Thread starter maths85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crank
In summary, the conversation is about designing an offset slider-crank mechanism with specific specifications, including stroke length, time ratio, and offset height. The task also involves proving the mathematical lengths of the crank and connecting rod. The individual has attempted multiple methods, including using different equations and representations, but has not been successful. They are seeking guidance on a simpler mathematical approach to solve the problem.
maths85

Homework Statement

Design an offset slider-crank mechanism which has the following specifications:
1. Stroke length of slider block C = 150 mm
2. Advance-to-return time ratio = 1.2
3. Offset height h = 50 mm

Prove mathematically that the lengths of the crank and of the connecting rod are AB
= 71 mm and BC = 178 mm respectively to the nearest millimetre.

upload_2016-12-2_2-6-21.png

I would appreciate any help to find the process and ecuations necessary to solve this problem.
I have tried to use differet ways to solve it but it gets very complicate and it suppose to be something easier..

I found a possible solution using the next representation and equations:

upload_2016-12-2_2-11-10.png

2. Homework Equations

We take into account that:
upload_2016-12-2_2-15-18.png

upload_2016-12-2_2-16-12.png

When I got this quadratic equations I realize that its getting too complicate, plus even solving this equations at the end there is not solution and I need to use a graphic way to find the length of the crank, and I have to use only mathematically process to solve it, I can't solve it graphically.
Another possible solution that I found was using the next steps:

upload_2016-12-2_2-40-2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Another way that suppose to drive to calculate the lengths is using complex numbers but I started and it is quite complicate also.

Does anybody know where could I find a non very complicate way to solve this, my teacher told me that it suppose to be a mathematical method that is not very complicate?
I don't need anybody to make it for me, only a little help to where could I find formulas and the right approach to solve it.

Thank You.
Have a good day

Physics news on Phys.org
Back solve from the given answers .

Hello.
Iam still stuck, I am using the ratio formula to get the angles, I tried using the cosine and sin rules, but still not going anywhere, with these formulas that I put in the last part of my post I can't get anywhere because I don't have enough data, I need to use the length to go somewhere and that exactly what I need to calculate, so I can't use this data.
Any possible advice of how to proceed?
I guess I am missing something that I can´t realize

1. What is a crank and how does it relate to mathematics?

A crank is a mechanical linkage used to convert rotary motion into reciprocating motion. In mathematics, the length of the crank is often used as a variable in equations to describe the motion of the linkage.

2. How is the length of the crank mathematically proven?

The length of the crank can be mathematically proven through the use of geometric formulas and trigonometric identities. By setting up equations and solving for the length of the crank, the proof can be derived.

3. What are the necessary mathematical concepts to prove the length of the crank?

To prove the length of the crank, one needs to have a solid understanding of geometry, trigonometry, and algebra. These concepts are used to set up and solve the equations necessary for the proof.

4. Are there any real-world applications for proving the length of the crank mathematically?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for this mathematical proof. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems such as engines, pumps, and other mechanical devices.

5. Can this proof be applied to cranks of different shapes and sizes?

Yes, the proof for the length of the crank can be applied to cranks of different shapes and sizes as long as the basic principles of geometry and trigonometry are followed. However, the equations and calculations may vary depending on the specific shape and size of the crank.