Calculate charge and capacitance

In summary, calculating charge and capacitance involves using the equation Q=CV, where Q represents the charge stored in a capacitor, C is the capacitance value, and V is the voltage applied. This equation can be used to determine the amount of charge stored in a capacitor for a given voltage, or to find the capacitance value for a known charge and voltage. Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store charge, and is affected by factors such as distance between the capacitor plates, surface area of the plates, and the type of material used in the capacitor. The calculation of charge and capacitance is essential in understanding and designing electronic circuits and devices.
Saundaz

Homework Statement

Three capacitors are connected in series, C1 = 4.5 mF, C2 = 7.5 mF, and

C3 = 10 mF, and connected to a 150V d.c. supply. Calculate:

(a) the total capacitance;

(b) the charge on EACH capacitor;

(Comment upon this answer)

(c) the p.d. across C3;

Homework Equations

Can someone explain this to me? As this is my weakest part in Physics, and i don't really understand it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to do research but i don't know wha tim looking for/at

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

1. How do I calculate charge?

To calculate charge, you need to know the number of electrons or protons in an object and the value of their charge. The formula for calculating charge is Q = n x e, where Q is the charge in coulombs, n is the number of electrons or protons, and e is the elementary charge (1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs).

2. What is capacitance and how is it related to charge?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is calculated by dividing the charge (Q) by the voltage (V), C = Q/V. Capacitance is directly proportional to charge, meaning that the larger the charge, the larger the capacitance.

3. How do I calculate capacitance?

To calculate capacitance, you need to know the charge (Q) and voltage (V) of a system. The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V. Make sure to use consistent units, such as coulombs for charge and volts for voltage, when calculating capacitance.

4. Can capacitance be negative?

No, capacitance cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the ability to store charge. A negative value would not make sense in this context. However, the change in capacitance can be negative as it is a measure of how the capacitance changes in response to a change in voltage or charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating charge and capacitance?

Calculating charge and capacitance is important in many areas of science and technology. Some common applications include designing and analyzing electronic circuits, calculating the energy stored in a capacitor, and determining the charge on a particle in a given electric field. It is also used in fields such as electrochemistry, medical imaging, and telecommunications.