Calculate Charge from Mass, Potential Difference & Distance

In summary, the question involves finding the charge of an oil drop placed between two parallel plates with a mass of 3.6*10^-12 kg and an electric potential difference of 250.4 V, with the plates being 0.41 cm apart. The attempted solution involved using the equation V=(kq)/r and solving for q, resulting in a charge of 1.1*10^-10. However, more information is needed, such as the electric field strength and forces acting on the charged droplet.
wow22

Homework Statement

Find the charge
find the charge:
mass : 3.6*10^-12 kg
electric potential difference: 250.4 V
parallel plates are 0.41 cm apart

PLEASE DO NOT link me a wikipedia page.. or give me a one sentance explanation of something unrelated to this question
Just need to know how to find charge in this case
Thanks for the help in advance!

Homework Equations

I thought it was:
V=(kq)/r
so q= (Vr)/k
But what would the mass be there for?

The Attempt at a Solution

q= (Vr)/k
q= (250.4*0.0041m)/(9.0*10^9)
q=1.1*10^-10

i don't know whether this is the right way of finding it

Physics news on Phys.org
wow22, I think you have abbreviated the details too much, and what you provided is not meaningful. Parallel plates I understand, voltage across the plates I understand. But mass...? What body is this whose mass is part of the question? And what is it is that has a radius?

It's the mass of an oil drop and I am looking for the charge of it. That's basically all the info given to me, and the question isn't really given to me in a word question, it just says to find the charge of the drop with info in chart provided.

wow22 said:
It's the mass of an oil drop and I am looking for the charge of it. That's basically all the info given to me, and the question isn't really given to me in a word question, it just says to find the charge of the drop with info in chart provided.

Why didn't you explain the setup in your first post? Without context your question is indecipherable.

What is the electric field strength between the plates?
What forces are acting on the charged droplet?

not sure ..
considering it didn't say I'm going to assume that it's stationary.

Related to Calculate Charge from Mass, Potential Difference & Distance

1. How do I calculate charge from mass, potential difference, and distance?

To calculate charge from mass, potential difference, and distance, you can use the formula Q = mV/d, where Q is the charge, m is the mass, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance.

2. What is the unit of charge in this calculation?

The unit of charge in this calculation is Coulomb (C).

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of charge?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of charge, including positive and negative charges.

4. How does distance affect the charge calculation?

The distance affects the charge calculation by inversely proportional relationship. This means that as the distance increases, the charge decreases, and vice versa.

5. Is this calculation only applicable for point charges?

No, this calculation can be used for any type of charge distribution, including point charges, line charges, and surface charges. However, for more complex charge distributions, the calculation may involve integration.