Galvanic cells: H+ vs H2SO4, and Br2(aq) vs Br2(l)

• Thread starter i_love_science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells
In summary, the solution states that in the reaction 12H+ + 2 IO(3-) + 10 Fe(2+) - > I2 + 6 H2O + 10 Fe(3+), H2SO4(aq) is in the cathode and in the reaction 2 H2O2 - > O2 + 2 H2O, H+(aq) is in both the cathode and anode. The appropriate use of H2SO4(aq) or H+(aq) in the galvanic cell description depends on the specific reaction and its redox properties. In galvanic cells, Br2(aq) is used instead of Br2(l) because its electrode
i_love_science
For the reaction 12H+ + 2 IO(3-) + 10 Fe(2+) - > I2 + 6 H2O + 10 Fe(3+), the solution says that H2SO4(aq) is in the cathode. For the reaction 2 H2O2 - > O2 + 2 H2O, the solution says that H+(aq) is in the cathode and anode. When is H2SO4(aq) or H+(aq) more appropriate in the galvanic cell description?

Also, why is Br2(aq) in galvanic cells rather than Br2(l)?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i_love_science said:
Also, why is Br2(aq) in galvanic cells rather than Br2(l)?
Not sure why H2SO4(aq) rather than H+(aq).
Br2(aq) has electrode potential that depends on its concentration in solution. In saturated solution in equilibrium with Br2(l), the concentration of Br2(aq) is fixed by solubility and potential should be the same for Br2(aq) as for Br2(l).

H2SO4 acts very much as a proton donor in redox chemistry and the redox properties of its deprotonated forms can often be neglected AFAIK.

1. What is the difference between H+ and H2SO4 in a galvanic cell?

H+ refers to a single hydrogen ion, while H2SO4 refers to sulfuric acid, which is composed of two hydrogen ions and one sulfate ion. In a galvanic cell, H+ ions are typically found in the electrolyte solution, while H2SO4 can be used as the electrolyte or as a reactant in the cell.

2. How do H+ and H2SO4 affect the voltage of a galvanic cell?

The presence of H+ ions in the electrolyte solution can increase the voltage of a galvanic cell, as they are involved in the redox reactions that produce electricity. H2SO4 can also affect the voltage by acting as a strong acid, which can help facilitate the transfer of electrons in the cell.

3. What is the role of Br2(aq) in a galvanic cell?

Br2(aq), or aqueous bromine, is a reactant in a galvanic cell. It is typically used in the cathode compartment, where it undergoes reduction and helps to produce a flow of electrons. It can also act as an electrolyte in some types of galvanic cells.

4. How does Br2(aq) differ from Br2(l) in a galvanic cell?

Br2(aq) and Br2(l) both refer to bromine, but in different states - aqueous and liquid, respectively. In a galvanic cell, Br2(aq) is more commonly used as it is easier to handle and can act as an electrolyte. Br2(l) can also be used in some cells, but it requires special handling and may not be as efficient.

5. Can H+ and Br2(aq) be used together in a galvanic cell?

Yes, H+ and Br2(aq) can be used together in a galvanic cell. In fact, many galvanic cells use both of these substances in their respective compartments to produce a flow of electrons. However, the specific design and conditions of the cell will determine the overall performance and efficiency of the cell.