Calculate elasticity of collision from kinetic energy loss?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the elasticity between a bouncing ball and the floor. The person asking the question has tried to calculate kinetic energy loss but is unsure of what to do next. When asked about their definition of elasticity, they mention a simulation and are directed to the concept of coefficient of restitution. This is the term typically used in collisions and may be helpful in solving the problem.
Sewager

Homework Statement

After a lot of searching I can't seem to find a way to solve this. Basically, for a bouncing ball, if I know the dropped height and rebound height in a vacuum. How do I calculate the elasticity between the ball and the floor?

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a lot of searching online...but I still have no idea. I tried to calculate kinetic energy loss, but what's after that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help is appreciated, thank you!

What definition do you have for elasticity?

haruspex said:
That doesn't define elasticity. You need a definition to have any hope of answering the question.
The concept of a coefficient of elasticity arises in many diverse subjects. In collisions, the more usual term is the coefficient of restitution: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution. See if that helps.
Ah, this is exactly what I m looking for, thank you so much!

Related to Calculate elasticity of collision from kinetic energy loss?

1. What is the formula for calculating elasticity of collision from kinetic energy loss?

The formula for calculating elasticity of collision from kinetic energy loss is:
Elasticity = (KEi - KEf) / KEi

2. How do you determine the initial and final kinetic energy in a collision?

The initial kinetic energy (KEi) is the energy of the object before the collision, while the final kinetic energy (KEf) is the energy of the object after the collision. These values can be determined by measuring the mass and velocity of the object before and after the collision.

3. What is the significance of calculating elasticity of collision?

Calculating the elasticity of collision allows scientists to understand how much energy is lost or conserved during a collision. This information is important in determining the efficiency of collisions and can also provide insight into the materials and forces involved in the collision.

4. Can the elasticity of collision be greater than 1?

No, the elasticity of collision cannot be greater than 1. This would indicate that the final kinetic energy is greater than the initial kinetic energy, which violates the law of conservation of energy.

5. How does the elasticity of collision affect the outcome of a collision?

The elasticity of collision affects the outcome of a collision by determining the amount of energy lost or conserved. A collision with high elasticity means less energy is lost, resulting in a more efficient and less damaging collision. A collision with low elasticity means more energy is lost, resulting in a less efficient and potentially more damaging collision.