Calculate electric potential from a graph

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric potential at x=3.0m in a region with a non-uniform electric field. The field points in the +x-direction and has a given magnitude. Using the given graph, the electric field can be expressed as an algebraic function of x. Alternatively, the voltage difference between two positions can be calculated by finding the area under the graph, which can then be used to find the voltage at x=3.0m. The recommended textbooks for understanding these concepts include the Feynman lectures and other old school physics books.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

A region of space has a non-uniform electric field that points in the +x-direction and has magnitude as shown in the figure (Figure 1) As a reference point, take the potential at the origin to be -140 V .
Calculate the electric potential at x=3.0m.
Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

-∫E⋅dr
Ex = -dV/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted to take the integral from 0 to 3 of the graph seen, but I did not know what E and dr were. I searched the web and found the closes thing being the potential difference given at x = 0. This is where I got lost and could not figure out what I needed to put in for dr and E fully. I know I have to integrate somehow, but with what? I just know the boundaries are 0 to 3, but everything else is confusion.

P.S. Also is there any really good physics 2 textbooks that explain these concepts very well? I know of the Feynman lectures, but any old school physics books that could be recommended for elctrostatics and such. Thanks to any suggestions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.26.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.26.27 PM.png
    16 KB · Views: 1,292
Physics news on Phys.org
jlmccart03 said:
So I attempted to take the integral from 0 to 3 of the graph seen,
Two ways to approach this.
One way is to use the given graph of E against x to write E as an algebraic function of x. This will be in two parts, one for x from 0 to 2 and one for x from 2 to 3. When you have done that you can integrate.
The easier way comes from understanding the relationship between areas and integrals.

Finding the area under the the graph is the same as integrating. Find the area between two distances, gives the voltage difference between those two positions. So you know the starting voltage, and you can find the voltage difference (the area of a rectangle and a triangle) then you can calculate the voltage at 3 meters.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential calculated from a graph?

The electric potential can be calculated from a graph by determining the change in electric potential (ΔV) between two points on the graph and dividing it by the distance between those points (Δd).

Electric potential (V) = ΔV / Δd

What is the relationship between electric potential and distance?

The relationship between electric potential and distance is inverse. As the distance from a source of electric potential increases, the electric potential decreases. This is known as the inverse square law.

Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential energy is decreasing as the distance from the source increases.

How does an electric potential graph represent an electric field?

An electric potential graph represents an electric field by showing the direction and strength of the electric field. The slope of the graph represents the strength of the electric field, while the direction of the slope indicates the direction of the electric field. A steeper slope indicates a stronger electric field, while a flatter slope indicates a weaker electric field.