Calculate K at 100 C for Reaction of Ethanol and Acetic Acid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an aqueous solution of ethanol and acetic acid, with concentrations of 0.810 M each, heated to 100 C. The equilibrium concentration of acetic acid is 0.748 M and the task is to calculate K at 100 C for the given reaction. The individual mentions this is not for homework and asks for assistance in solving the problem.
Orbit1212
I have this problem to solve and I am having dificulity it doing so:

An aqueous solution of ethanol and acetic acid, each with a concentration of 0.810 M is heated to 100 C. At equilibrium, the acetic acid concentration is 0.748 M. Calculate K at 100 C for the reaction.

C2H5OH (aq) + CH3COOH (aq) <=> CH3COOC2H5 (aq) + H2O (l)

This isn't for homework or anything like that. I am just going back through old college textbooks and came across this one.

Thank you for help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this reaction follows pseudo first order kinetics, so [tex]kt=ln\frac{a}{a-x}[/tex]. You have t=373k, a=.810 a-x=0.748, solve for k.

To calculate K at 100 C for this reaction, we first need to write out the equilibrium expression:

K = [CH3COOC2H5]/[C2H5OH][CH3COOH]

Next, we plug in the given concentrations at equilibrium:

K = (0.748 M)/(0.810 M)(0.810 M) = 0.921

Therefore, the equilibrium constant at 100 C for this reaction is 0.921. This means that at 100 C, the reaction favors the products slightly more than the reactants.

Related to Calculate K at 100 C for Reaction of Ethanol and Acetic Acid

What is the reaction between ethanol and acetic acid?

The reaction between ethanol and acetic acid is an esterification reaction, where the two compounds combine to form ethyl acetate and water.

What is the equilibrium constant (K) for this reaction?

The equilibrium constant, also known as K, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. For the reaction of ethanol and acetic acid, the equilibrium constant is dependent on temperature and can be calculated using the equilibrium expression: K = [ethyl acetate]/[ethanol][acetic acid].

How can I calculate K at 100 C for this reaction?

To calculate K at 100 C, you will need the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products at this temperature. These can be determined experimentally or using a thermodynamic database. Once you have the concentrations, plug them into the equilibrium expression to find the equilibrium constant, K.

What factors can affect the value of K for this reaction?

The value of K for the reaction of ethanol and acetic acid can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. Changes in these conditions can shift the equilibrium and therefore change the value of K.

What is the significance of K in this reaction?

The equilibrium constant, K, is an important factor in understanding the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. A large K value indicates that the reaction favors the products, while a small K value indicates that the reaction favors the reactants. The value of K also provides insight into the thermodynamics and kinetics of the reaction.