Calculate Magnitude of Force F2: Homework Solution

In summary, the magnitude of force F2 acting on a mass of 4kg, along with force F1 = 7i + 6j + 8k in N, and acceleration a = 1i + 3j + 2k in m/s^2, can be calculated by finding the components of F2 and then its magnitude. Simply adding F1 and F2 will not yield the correct answer as the forces may not be parallel.
NeverSummer

Homework Statement

Two forces F1 and F2 are acting on a mass M=4kg. The force F1 = 7i + 6j + 8k, in N. The acceleration of the mass is given by a = 1i + 3j + 2k, in m/s2. Calculate the magnitude of F2 .

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F1+F2=ma
m=4kg
F1=sqrt(7^2+6^2+8^2) = 12.2066N
a=sqrt(1^2+3^2+2^2) = 3.71466m/s

plug it all in and I get F2=2.7601N

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, so if some one would point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
find the F2 force in vector form and then find its mag!

I can't follow what you are doing. My thought was calculate the components of F2, then calculate the magnitude.

Thanks! That was my problem, my brain was burnt out so I just tried to do it all in one go rather than by components. Didn't work :P

vertigo said:
I can't follow what you are doing. My thought was calculate the components of F2, then calculate the magnitude.

I said the same thing! :wink:

Mag of force will will give wrong answer as the 2 forces might not be parallel!
the way you did is only useful when forces act parallel but in this case you don't know if they are or not.

find the component of F2 and then force !:biggrin:

Related to Calculate Magnitude of Force F2: Homework Solution

What is the formula for calculating magnitude of force F2?

The formula for calculating magnitude of force F2 is F2 = m*a, where F2 is the magnitude of force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

How do I find the mass and acceleration values needed for the calculation?

To find the mass and acceleration values needed for the calculation, you can refer to the given problem or experiment data. The mass is usually given in kilograms (kg) and the acceleration is given in meters per second squared (m/s²).

Do I need to convert any units for the calculation?

Yes, it is important to make sure that all units are consistent in the formula. If the mass is given in grams, it needs to be converted to kilograms. Similarly, if the acceleration is given in miles per hour squared, it needs to be converted to meters per second squared.

What is the significance of calculating the magnitude of force F2?

The magnitude of force F2 is an important quantity in physics as it helps us understand the strength of a force acting on an object. It is also a crucial factor in determining the motion and behavior of objects.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating magnitude of force F2?

Yes, a common mistake to avoid is using the wrong formula. Make sure to use the correct formula for calculating magnitude of force F2, which is F2 = m*a. It is also important to pay attention to unit conversions and use the correct units in the calculation.