Calculate Mass Flow Rate of Blood in Aorta

In summary, to calculate the mass flow rate of blood in an aorta with a cross-sectional area of 2 cm2 and a flow speed of 43 cm/s, use the equation m=pAv and multiply the numbers as is, without needing to convert units. The answer should be in units of g/s.
notsam

Homework Statement

Calculate the mass flow rate of blood (of den-
sity 1 g/cm3) in an aorta with a cross-sectional
area of 2 cm2 if the flow speed is 43 cm/s .
Answer in units of g/s.

Homework Equations

m=pAv

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys! I can tell that this is a very simple plug in equation however if my awnser needs to be in "g/s" then can I multiply my numbers as is, or do I need to convert the cm to meters. and the 1g/cm3 to kg/m3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply write out the multiplications along with the units and see if they cancel/combine appropriately.

Wow, duh I feel dumb...thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating mass flow rate of blood in the aorta?

The formula for calculating mass flow rate of blood in the aorta is: mass flow rate = density of blood x cross-sectional area of the aorta x blood flow velocity.

2. How do you determine the density of blood?

The density of blood can be determined by taking the average density of plasma and red blood cells. The average density of plasma is 1.025 kg/m3 and the average density of red blood cells is 1.13 kg/m3. The density of blood can be calculated by using the following formula: density of blood = (percentage of plasma x density of plasma) + (percentage of red blood cells x density of red blood cells).

3. What is the average cross-sectional area of the aorta?

The average cross-sectional area of the aorta varies depending on a person's age, gender, and physical condition. However, on average, the diameter of the aorta is around 2 cm, which gives an approximate cross-sectional area of 3.14 cm2.

4. How can you measure the blood flow velocity in the aorta?

The blood flow velocity in the aorta can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These methods use sound waves or magnetic fields to measure the velocity of blood flow in the aorta.

5. What is the typical mass flow rate of blood in the aorta?

The typical mass flow rate of blood in the aorta varies depending on a person's age, gender, and physical condition. However, on average, the mass flow rate of blood in the aorta is around 4-5 liters per minute in a healthy adult.