Calculate rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discussed the correct formula to use for calculating kinetic energy and total energy. The given answer, 3.079*10^-26 kg, was obtained using the formula E=γmc^2, which takes into account the total energy. The formula E=(γ-1)mc^2, which represents kinetic energy, gave a different answer due to a mistake in calculations. It was also clarified that the question should have stated 20 GeV of total energy instead of kinetic energy.
bai_mi
The answer is 3.079*10^-26 kg

I tried doing E=mc^2
20*10^9*1.602*10^-19=m*(3*10^8)^2
m=3.56*10^-26 kg
However when I do E=γmc^2 I get the correct answer.

Is the question wrong, because isn't it 20 GeV of kinetic energy, not total energy?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Which of the formulas E=mc2 and E=(γ-1)mc2 represents the kinetic energy?

Sorry I meant that when I use E=γmc^2 (total energy formula), I get the correct answer. E=(γ-1)mc^2 (kinetic energy formula) gives the wrong answer.
The question should be 20 GeV of total energy, right?

When I use E = (γ-1)mc2 I get the answer that is given (3.079 x 10-26 kg). If you are not getting this, then show more details of your calculation.

20*10^9*1.602*10^-19= ((1/(root(1-0.5^2)))-1) m*(3*10^8)^2
m=2.30*10^-25 kg

bai_mi said:
20*10^9*1.602*10^-19= ((1/(root(1-0.5^2)))-1) m*(3*10^8)^2
OK

m=2.30*10^-25 kg
I don't get this value. The mistake must be in the manipulations to solve for m.

What do you get with E=γmc^2 then?

Yikes. MY FAULT! o:)

You are correct. E=γmc2 produces the given answer. Very Sorry. I kept forgetting to subract the 1 in (γ-1). So, yes, it appears that they took the 20 GeV to be the total energy.

1. What is the formula for calculating rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy is: m0 = Ek/c2, where m0 is the rest mass, Ek is the kinetic energy, and c is the speed of light.

2. How do I determine the relative speed in the calculation?

The relative speed can be determined by taking the difference between the velocity of an object and the speed of light. This can be expressed as v - c, where v is the velocity and c is the speed of light.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of particle or object?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of particle or object as long as its speed is significantly less than the speed of light. This is because the formula is derived from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc2, which is a fundamental principle in physics.

4. Does this formula work for objects traveling at the speed of light?

No, this formula does not work for objects traveling at the speed of light as it would result in a division by zero. This is because at the speed of light, an object's rest mass becomes zero and therefore cannot be calculated using this formula.

5. What is the significance of calculating rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy?

Calculating rest mass given relative speed and kinetic energy can help us understand the fundamental properties of particles and their behaviors. It also allows for the prediction and calculation of various physical phenomena, such as particle collisions and energy transformations.