How Can the Speed of Sound Help Determine Room Temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the speed of sound formula and given values to calculate the room temperature. The given values include a frequency of 480 Hz and a second resonant length of 54cm or 0.54m. The equations used are v = 331 + (0.60)T and T = (v - 331)/0.60. The attempt at a solution involved using the calculated wavelength of 0.53m, resulting in a temperature of -127.6 degrees Celsius. However, the speaker realizes that they should have used the formula L = (3/4)λ instead and asks for clarification on the values used.
SelenaT

Homework Statement

Calculate the room temperature by using the speed of sound formula and using the given values.

Known Data:
Frequency = 480 Hz
2nd Resonant length = 54cm or 0.54m

Homework Equations

v = 331 + (0.60)T
T = (v - 331)/0.60

v = fλ

(Open-Closed air column)
L = (3/4)λ

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) v = fλ
= 480Hz (0.53m)
= 254.4m/s

(2) T = (254.4m/s) - 331 / 0.60
= -127.6 degrees celcius[/B]

I highly doubt the temperature is this low. I realized that I used the wavelength as the resonant length so, I decided to solve for λ using the resonant length. I did the same process again but using the calculated λ but it didnt work either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how you got 0.53m. You don't seem to have used the ##L=(3/4)\lambda## formula.

haruspex said:
I don't understand how you got 0.53m. You don't seem to have used the ##L=(3/4)\lambda## formula.

Sorry, forgot to give a little context. I will remember next time.

This is a follow up question for an experiment that I did. Using an open-closed air column, I found that the second resonant length was 0.53m

SelenaT said:
Sorry, forgot to give a little context. I will remember next time.

This is a follow up question for an experiment that I did. Using an open-closed air column, I found that the second resonant length was 0.53m
OK, but that's L, not ##\lambda##. You plugged that value into your ##v=f\lambda## formula.

1. What is the formula for calculating room temperature?

The formula for calculating room temperature is determined by the average kinetic energy of air molecules, which can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you measure room temperature accurately?

The most accurate way to measure room temperature is by using a thermometer. Digital thermometers are the most accurate as they have a higher precision and can measure temperature in decimals. Place the thermometer in the middle of the room at chest height for the most accurate reading.

3. What factors can affect room temperature?

Several factors can affect room temperature, including outside temperature, weather conditions, insulation, and ventilation. Other factors such as number of occupants, appliances, and sunlight exposure can also impact the temperature of a room.

4. How do you calculate the average room temperature over a period of time?

To calculate the average room temperature over a period of time, you will need to take multiple temperature readings at different times and then find the average of those readings. For example, you can take temperature readings every hour for 24 hours and then find the average to determine the average room temperature for that day.

5. How does humidity affect room temperature?

Humidity can affect room temperature as it is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air. High humidity can make a room feel warmer as the moisture in the air can trap heat, while low humidity can make a room feel cooler as it allows for faster evaporation of sweat from the skin. However, humidity does not change the actual temperature of the room, it only affects how it feels to us.