Calculate strength of the electric field at indicated point

In summary, the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure is 4.015*10^3 C and its direction is at an angle of 35 degrees with respect to the horizontal. This can be calculated by finding the x and y components of the electric field using vector addition and taking into account the signs and angles.
prokaryote

Homework Statement

wpir4

https://imgur.com/a/wpir4
[/B]
a. What is the strength of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure? Use the following values: q1 = 1.09 nC, q2=0.93 nC, d1=2.49 cm, d2=6.9 cm, d3 = 4.27 cm.

b. What is the direction of the electric field at the position indicated by the dot in the figure? Specify the direction as an angle with respect to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

E = (k*q)/r2

k = 9*109 N*m2/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to simply sum the electric fields, using the distance of the two hypotenuses calculated with the Pythagorean theorem:
(k*(1.09*10-9 C))/(.0494297 m)2 + (k*(0.93*10-9)/(.0811436 m)2
= 4.015*103 C

I also tried calculating the x and y components separately, then summing the vectors, but it took an entire page and the answer was wrong. I tried doing it two other ways, but I don't even know what I did. I'm so lost. SOS

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. You do need to use vector addition here because electric field is a vector quantity. So, your second approach is correct. Devil is in the details. Please show your attempt at getting the components.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF. You do need to use vector addition here because electric field is a vector quantity. So, your second approach is correct. Devil is in the details. Please show your attempt at getting the components.

Ok. I'm pretty sure this is totally wrong so I apologize in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/zsnkC

Basically looks good except for a couple of things. The symbol F is not really appropriate for electric field since F usually represents force.

You defined your angles ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## as measured from the y axis. So, when getting the x components, would you use the cosine or the sine of these angles? [Or, are you taking the vertical axis as the x-axis and horizontal as y axis?]

Also, think about the signs of the components.

TSny said:
Basically looks good except for a couple of things. The symbol F is not really appropriate for electric field since F usually represents force.

You defined your angles ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## as measured from the y axis. So, when getting the x components, would you use the cosine or the sine of these angles? [Or, are you taking the vertical axis as the x-axis and horizontal as y axis?]

Also, think about the signs of the components.

Nice!
I flipped the sin/cosine assignment and made one of the y-components negative. Got the right answer.
Thank you so much!

OK. [One minor thing, it's good to express answers to an appropriate number of significant figures.]

Good work!

1. What is the formula for calculating the strength of the electric field at a given point?

The formula for calculating the strength of the electric field at a given point is E = kQ/r^2, where E represents the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source to the point in question.

2. How does the distance from the source affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the electric field strength increases.

3. Can the direction of the electric field at a point be calculated?

Yes, the direction of the electric field at a point can be calculated by using a vector analysis. The direction of the electric field is in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience at that point.

4. What units are used to measure the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

5. How can the electric field at a point be visualized?

The electric field at a point can be visualized by using electric field lines. These lines represent the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field at that point.