Calculate Tension in Cables Using Pythagorus Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the tension in cables using Pythagoras formula and trigonometry. The individual has already found the angles and hypotenuse, but is unsure of what formula to use next. They are advised to fill in the angles and use trigonometry to find the tension, keeping in mind the concept of mechanical equilibrium.
mratwi36
Well I've found the angles and got the hypotenuse by Pythagorus formula, but I'm kinda stuck i don't know what formula should i use to get the tension in cables.

Hyp=23.3 m
angles based on triangle AB we already have the 90 deg based on right angle triangle and the other angles are 31 and 59.

since I've got those what am i supposed to do after that.

appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculate Tension in Cables Using Pythagorus Formula

1. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How does the Pythagorean theorem relate to calculating tension in cables?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle, which is necessary in determining the tension in cables that form the sides of the triangle.

3. What is the formula for calculating tension in cables using the Pythagorean theorem?

The formula for calculating tension in cables using the Pythagorean theorem is T = √(F1² + F2²), where T is the tension, F1 is the force acting on one cable, and F2 is the force acting on the other cable.

4. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used for any type of triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used for right triangles, where one of the angles is 90 degrees.

5. How accurate is the Pythagorean theorem in calculating tension in cables?

The Pythagorean theorem is a reliable and accurate method for calculating tension in cables as long as the other forces acting on the cables are known and the cables are assumed to be in a state of equilibrium.