Calculating tension in a wire holding beam against wall

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a beam hinged to a wall with a mass at the end and a wire supporting it at an angle. The question is to find the tension in the wire. One person solved the problem using trigonometry and another used moments. The difference in solutions is due to the assumption of a vertical force from the hinge, which is not always true. The solution using moments is considered safer and more accurate.
mashedpotato
Hi, this is my first forum post - sorry if I'm in the wrong place, or I've done something wrong!

Homework Statement

Here goes: There is a beam of 0.5m length hinged to a wall at a right angle with 200N mass at the end of the beam. This is supported by a wire T at angle 30°. The question asks to find tension in T.
It seems I can answer the question correctly, however, looking at the solutions, I do not understand why an answer was obtained in such a way...

Homework Equations

Turning Moment = force x distance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I made the triangle into a trigonometry problem. Opposite = wall, Adjacent = beam and Hypotenuse = Wire / Tension.
Opp = 200N, I want to find Hyp ∴ Hyp = 200 / sin(30) = 400N. This answer is actually correct, but the answers use this as a solution:
T sin(30) x 0.5 = 200 x 0.5

If someone could please help, I would be extremely grateful, as this question has been frustrating me for some time.
mashedpotato.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, sorry for this post but I *think* I've found the solution. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

So, technically:
Hyp (T or Tension) = 200 / sin(30)
sin(30) * T = 200

But the answer uses: T sin(30) * 0.5 = 200 * 0.5 which is the same as saying sin(30) * T = 200

Thanks & Best Regards,
mashedpotato

mashedpotato said:
But the answer uses: T sin(30) * 0.5 = 200 * 0.5
That solution is taking moments about the hinge where the beam meets the wall, whereas your method looked at vertical components of forces.
Your method is unsafe because you have effectively assumed there is no vertical force from the hinge. That happens to be true in this case, but if you move the point of attachment of wire to beam to somewhere else along the beam it will not be, and the book method succeeds while yours fails.

Likes David Lewis

1. How do you calculate the tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall?

To calculate the tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall, you will need to use the formula T = (W * L) / 2, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the beam, and L is the distance from the wall to the point where the wire is attached. This formula assumes that the weight of the beam is evenly distributed.

2. What factors affect the tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall?

The tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall is affected by several factors, including the weight of the beam, the distance from the wall to the point where the wire is attached, and the angle at which the wire is attached to the wall. Other factors that may affect tension include the material and thickness of the wire, and any external forces acting on the beam.

3. How can I ensure that the wire is strong enough to hold the beam against the wall?

To ensure that the wire is strong enough to hold the beam against the wall, you will need to consider the weight of the beam, the distance from the wall to the point where the wire is attached, and the angle at which the wire is attached to the wall. You may also need to consult with a structural engineer to determine the appropriate type and thickness of wire to use for the specific situation.

4. Is it important to consider the angle of the wire when calculating tension?

Yes, the angle of the wire is an important factor to consider when calculating tension. The tension in the wire will be greater if the wire is attached at a steep angle, compared to if it is attached at a shallower angle. This is because the force acting on the wire is greater when it is pulling at a steeper angle.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when calculating tension in a wire holding a beam against a wall. It is important to ensure that the wire is strong enough to handle the tension and weight of the beam, and that it is securely attached to both the wall and the beam. It is also important to regularly inspect the wire and connections for any signs of wear or damage, and to replace them if necessary.