Calculate the charging time for my Electric Vehicle

In summary, when estimating the time it will take to charge a car battery, it is important to consider the battery capacity in kWh and the charging effect in W. To get a rough estimate, you can divide the capacity by the charging effect. However, to account for inefficiencies and battery lifetime, it is recommended to add about 20% to the original calculation. This can be added to either the time or the effect, depending on personal preferences. Ultimately, this is due to batteries not being 100% efficient.
Lobotomy
So cars usually specify the batteries in kWh (rather than Ah).

So given that i know the kWh capacity of a car.

I also know the charging effect in W (i.e. the voltage and amps in my charging station).

Can I reasonably estimate the time it'll take to charge the battery? It doesn't have to be super accurate.Is it as easy as

Capacity / Charge effect = time i.e.100kWh / 9600 W = 10,4 hours to charge?

And assuming i have 5 hours to charge that'll reguire 100kWh/5= 20 000W if i want to be able to charge it full in that time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To account for various inefficiencies, especially of the batteries, add about 20% to the amount needed for full charge. The faster the charge rate the less efficient it is. Also the faster the charge rate the sooner the batteries will need replacement due to loss of capacity.

Tom.G said:
To account for various inefficiencies, especially of the batteries, add about 20% to the amount needed for full charge. The faster the charge rate the less efficient it is. Also the faster the charge rate the sooner the batteries will need replacement due to loss of capacity.

add 20% to time or effect?

Lobotomy said:
add 20% to time or effect?
Isn't it saying the same thing either way?

In the "Real World", add to the the time if longer battery lifetime is important to you. If you are impatient, add it to effect.

It's just a case of batteries not being 100% efficient.

100kWh / 9600 W = 10,4 hours
10.4 hours plus 20% = About 12 hours.

1. How do I calculate the charging time for my electric vehicle?

To calculate the charging time for your electric vehicle, you will need to know the battery capacity of your vehicle, the charging rate of your charging station, and the current charge level of your battery. You can then use the formula: Charging Time = (Battery Capacity x (1 - Current Charge Level)) / Charging Rate. This will give you an estimate of how long it will take to fully charge your electric vehicle.

2. Can I use a regular outlet to charge my electric vehicle?

It is not recommended to use a regular outlet to charge your electric vehicle as it may not provide enough voltage to effectively charge your battery. It is recommended to use a dedicated charging station or a high-powered outlet specifically designed for electric vehicles.

3. Does the type of electric vehicle affect the charging time?

Yes, the type of electric vehicle can affect the charging time. Different vehicles have different battery capacities and charging rates, which will impact the time it takes to charge the battery. Additionally, some electric vehicles have the ability to charge at a faster rate than others.

4. What factors can affect the charging time for my electric vehicle?

The charging time for your electric vehicle can be affected by various factors such as the type of charging station used, the state of the battery, the outside temperature, and the type of electric vehicle. Additionally, the age and condition of the battery can also impact the charging time.

5. How can I reduce the charging time for my electric vehicle?

There are a few ways to reduce the charging time for your electric vehicle. One option is to upgrade to a higher-powered charging station that can charge your battery at a faster rate. Keeping your battery in good condition and avoiding frequent deep discharges can also help reduce the charging time. Additionally, using a pre-conditioning feature on your electric vehicle before charging can help speed up the charging process.