Calculate the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic premise of having one input and one output, with the input being energy from gunpowder burning and the output being the force that pushes the bullet after being reduced by friction. The parameters used in the conversation include mass, barrel length, energy, and friction coefficient. The discussion also highlights the importance of understanding interior ballistics and suggests further reading for more information.
JJ_Badoo
TL;DR Summary
Hello, I am doing a project in which I have a bullet and it is being fired from a barrel.
So, Basic premise is I have 1 input and one output, Energy friom the gunpower burning is input, and the output is the force which pushes the bullet after it is reduced by the friction.

m = 12.96 g
s = 0.6985 m (barrel lenght)
E = 6734 J
k = 0.5 (friction coeffcient)

I am sorry for lack of anything really. I don't even know how to start, I could solve the exercise normally but them shifting it over to MATLAB parameters is the most difficult thing for me...
Thank you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/245431

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JJ, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

For the friction force you write ##-kx##. Where does that come from ? What would it mean for the energy lost to friction ?

JJ_Badoo said:
I am sorry for lack of anything really. I don't even know how to start
Not good enough for PF -- see guidelines
I could solve the exercise normally
Please do solve, and post what you have, including thte relevant equations ...

JJ_Badoo said:
I don't even know how to start

Do some reading on interior ballistics. Hatcher's Notebook, by Julian S. Hatcher, has some good information on the energy budget, including friction.

What factors affect the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel?

The exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel is affected by several factors, including the type of gunpowder used, the weight and shape of the bullet, the length and diameter of the barrel, and the amount of friction between the bullet and the barrel.

How is the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel calculated?

The exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel is calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the bullet, and a is the acceleration. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a=v/t, where v is the velocity of the bullet and t is the time it takes for the bullet to exit the barrel.

Can the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel be increased?

Yes, the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel can be increased by using a more powerful gunpowder, using a longer and wider barrel, and reducing the amount of friction between the bullet and the barrel.

Why is it important to calculate the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel?

Calculating the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel is important for understanding the performance and effectiveness of a firearm. It can also help in determining the range and accuracy of the bullet and can aid in making adjustments for better shooting results.

How does the exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel affect its trajectory?

The exit force of a bullet leaving the barrel plays a significant role in determining the trajectory of the bullet. A higher exit force results in a faster bullet and a flatter trajectory, while a lower exit force results in a slower bullet and a more curved trajectory.