Calculate the Magnetic Vector Potential of a circular loop carrying a current

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the cosine law and symmetry in calculating the current on a loop in the xy plane at radius R. The position vector is used to simplify the calculation, with the magnitude being the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself. An alternative approach using Cartesian coordinates is also mentioned as a convenient choice in certain situations.
casparov
Homework Statement
Calculate the magnetic vector potential of a circular loop carrying a current
Relevant Equations
magnetic potential, cylindrical coordinates
Can someone explain what exactly happens at (4) ? I do not clearly follow, except that there is some cosine law going on?

I also do not really understand why at (3), r' doesnt have a z hat component, but I can live with that.
ED1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to realize that the current I(r') is nonzero on a loop in the xy plane at radius R. This limits the integration and provides symmetry.

Likes casparov
hutchphd said:
You need to realize that the current I(r') is nonzero on a loop in the xy plane at radius R. This limits the integration and provides symmetry.
I thought it was due to symmetry, just a bit confused why we keep it in the unprimed, but I guess it is part of the definition of the vector in cylindrical system.

Can you please be able to explain how step 4 is achieved ?

hutchphd said:
You need to realize that the current I(r') is nonzero on a loop in the xy plane at radius R.
Then write out the denominator as a dot product.

hutchphd said:
Then write out the denominator as a dot product.
But it is not really a dot product is it ?

If I do that then, I get just the cosines right, and not the sines part also then ?

I guess my confusion lies at this position vector stuff, I really do not grasp it well.

casparov said:
But it is not really a dot product is it ?

If I do that then, I get just the cosines right, and not the sines part also then ?

I guess my confusion lies at this position vector stuff, I really do not grasp it well.
The magnitude of a vector is the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself, so you have
$$\lvert \mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}| = \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})\cdot (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})}$$

Likes casparov
vela said:
The magnitude of a vector is the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself, so you have
$$\lvert \mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}| = \sqrt{(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})\cdot (\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'})}$$
Thank you very much for the reminder

Hi @casparov. It might be worth noting an alternative (but less elegant) approach - use Cartesian coordinates:

##\mathbf{r}= <r \cos \phi, r \sin \phi, z>##

##\mathbf{r’}= <R\cos \phi’, R \sin \phi’, 0>##

##| \mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r'}|^2 = (r \cos \phi - R\cos \phi’)^2 + (r \sin \phi - R\sin \phi’)^2 + (z - 0)^2##

which easily simplifies to equation (4).

In some situations, using Cartesian coordinates might be a convenient choice.

Last edited:
Likes casparov and vanhees71

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic vector potential of a circular loop carrying a current?

The formula for calculating the magnetic vector potential of a circular loop carrying a current is A = μ₀I/4πr, where A is the magnetic vector potential, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the center of the loop to the point where the magnetic vector potential is being calculated.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic vector potential?

The direction of the current in the loop will determine the direction of the magnetic vector potential. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic vector potential, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and the curled fingers indicating the direction of the magnetic vector potential.

3. Can the magnetic vector potential be negative?

Yes, the magnetic vector potential can be negative. This indicates that the magnetic field is directed in the opposite direction from the current in the loop. The magnitude of the magnetic vector potential, however, will always be positive.

4. How does the distance from the center of the loop affect the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the loop. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic vector potential decreases. This relationship is described by the formula A = μ₀I/4πr, where r is the distance from the center of the loop.

5. Can the magnetic vector potential be calculated for a loop with no current?

Yes, the magnetic vector potential can be calculated for a loop with no current. In this case, the magnetic vector potential will be zero everywhere except at the center of the loop, where it will be undefined. This is because the formula A = μ₀I/4πr involves the current I, which is equal to zero in this scenario.