Magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet

In summary: Wow yes you're absolutely correct, I completely looked over that term. Thanks a lot for the help! This makes everything much more logical.
Decimal
Homework Statement
A uniformly charged infinite sheet in the x-y plane starts moving with velocity ##v## in the x direction at time ##t=0##. The spatial charge distribution is then ##\rho(\vec{r}) = \sigma_0 \delta(z)##. The current density for ##t>0## is then ##\vec{J} = \sigma_0 v \delta(z) \hat{x}##.

Calculate the retarded vector potential a distance ##z## above the moving sheet for ##t>0##.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{A} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int \frac{\vec{J}(\vec{r}', t_r)}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} d^3r'. ## Here ##t_r## is the retarded time and ##r## the distance to the observation point
Hello,

I start by applying the integral for the vector potential ##\vec{A}## using cylindrical coordinates. I define ##r## as the distance to the ##z##-axis. This gives me the following integral,$$\vec{A} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \sigma_0 v 2 \pi \hat{x} \int_0^{\sqrt{(ct)^2-z^2}} \frac{r}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}} dr.$$ Here I have adjusted my integration boundary such that only the current which actually influences the observation point influences the potential. Obviously this boundary increases with time.

The above integral gives the following result, $$\vec{A} = \frac{\mu_0 \sigma_0 v }{2} ct \ U(t-\frac{|z|}{c}) \hat{x}.$$ Here I have defined ##U(x)## as the unit step function, since ##\vec{A} = 0## if ##t<\frac{|z|}{c}##. Now I am not sure if this is a correct result. On one hand it implies that the potential increases to infinity as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, instead of reducing to the static result. I know that in the static case using the above integral for infinite current distributions doesn't converge anyway, but I don't see a different way of finding the retarded potential for this set-up.

Also with this this vector potential the resulting magnetic field is 0 almost everywhere, except for maybe some delta functions that originate from the step function. This is because ##\vec{A}## is mostly rotationless. This also seems weird to me, and again does not correspond with the static case.

So I feel like I am either starting with the wrong formula entirely or missing some important part of the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a nonzero contribution from the lower limit (##r = 0##) of the integral. Otherwise, your work looks correct to me. The contribution at the lower limit will affect whether or not you get B = 0 at most points.

Likes Decimal
TSny said:
There is a nonzero contribution from the lower limit (##r = 0##) of the integral. Otherwise, your work looks correct to me. The contribution at the lower limit will affect whether or not you get B = 0 at most points.

Wow yes you're absolutely correct, I completely looked over that term. Thanks a lot for the help! This makes everything much more logical.

What is the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet?

The magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field generated by a sheet of moving electric charges. It is a vector field that describes the direction and strength of the magnetic field at each point in space.

How is the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet calculated?

The magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is equal to the sum of the contributions from each infinitesimal element of the current sheet, taking into account the distance and orientation of each element from the point in question.

What is the significance of the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet?

The magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It is used in a variety of applications, including in the design of electric motors and generators, as well as in the study of plasma physics and astrophysics.

How does the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet differ from that of a stationary current sheet?

The main difference between the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet and that of a stationary current sheet is the addition of a time-dependent term in the former. This accounts for the changing position of the charges in the moving current sheet, which results in a changing magnetic field.

Can the magnetic vector potential of a moving current sheet be measured?

While the magnetic vector potential itself cannot be directly measured, its effects on the magnetic field can be measured using devices such as magnetometers. Additionally, the mathematical concept of the magnetic vector potential is used in practical applications to design and optimize devices that utilize electromagnetic fields.