Finding the magnetic field of a loop at far distances

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic dipole moment and magnetic field created by a loop of current in the xy plane. The conversation also covers how to interpret the vector potential and its relationship to the magnetic field, as well as various methods for computing the magnetic field, including using the pole model. The Wikipedia page on magnetic dipoles is recommended as a resource for further understanding.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

Loop of current ##I## sitting in the xy plane. Current goes in counter clockwise direction as seen from positive z axis. Find:

a) the magnetic dipole moment
b) the approximate magnetic field at points far from the origin
c) show that, for points on the z axis, your answer is consistent with the exact field (Ex. 5.6), when z R.

Homework Equations

##\vec{m} = I \int d\vec{A}##
##\vec{A}_{dip} (\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0 \vec{m} \times \hat r}{4 \pi r^2}##
##\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}##

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got that this is ##I\pi R^2 \hat z##
b) I got ##\vec{A}_{dip} (\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu_0 I R^2}{4 r^2}(\hat z \times \hat r)##, but I don't know how to interpret ##(\hat z \times \hat r)##. I tried taking the vector product by treating them as cylindrical coordinates and using the conversion to cartesian, which resulted in ##\hat \phi##. So it says that the vector potential curls around the z axis, which doesn't make sense...

Then I know I have to do ##\vec{B}=\nabla \times \vec{A}##, but that's contingent on the previous part being correct.

c) ?

Any tips?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again. Suggest you google "magnetic dipole". The Wikipedia has a good explanation. One item here that might create some confusion: In some SI units, I have seen the authors write ## B=\mu_o H +\mu_o M ## instead of ## B=\mu_o H +M ##. In any case, try reading Wikipedia. I think the answer is often computed in spherical coordinates rather than cylindrical, but it appears Wikipedia's answers are independent of coordinate system. ## \\ ## editing... Also, there is a formula for the curl of a cross-product of two vectors. It can often be found on the cover or appendix of an E&M textbook. ## \\ ## editing... additional item... A magnetic dipole can also be modeled as a "+" pole at one end and a "-" pole at the other and the inverse square law can be used for the ## H ## from each pole. The calculations using the pole model are a little simpler than Biot-Savart type integrals around the loop. I believe about a month or two ago, I verified the Wikipedia formulas using the pole method when someone else posted a question about the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole. ## \\ ## Here is a "link" to that discussion: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/equation-of-magnetic-field-produced-by-a-solenoid.888895/

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a loop at far distances?

The magnetic field of a loop at far distances can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀I/2r, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the loop, and r is the distance from the center of the loop.

2. What is the relationship between the distance from the loop and the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the loop increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

3. Can the orientation of the loop affect the magnetic field at far distances?

Yes, the orientation of the loop can affect the magnetic field at far distances. The magnetic field is strongest when the loop is oriented perpendicular to the line connecting the loop and the point where the field is being measured. It is weakest when the loop is parallel to this line.

4. What is the significance of the permeability of free space in calculating the magnetic field of a loop at far distances?

The permeability of free space, denoted by μ₀, is a physical constant that represents the ability of a material to support the formation of a magnetic field. Its value is approximately 4π x 10^-7 N/A². It is essential in the calculation of the magnetic field at far distances as it relates the strength of the field to the current in the loop and the distance from the loop.

5. How is the magnetic field of a loop at far distances useful in practical applications?

The magnetic field of a loop at far distances is useful in many practical applications, such as in electromagnetic induction, motors, and generators. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation. Understanding and calculating the magnetic field of a loop at far distances is essential in designing and optimizing these technologies.