Calculate the pH of a buffer made

• Thread starter kk727
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, a problem was presented about calculating the pH of a buffer solution made with K2HPO4 and KH2PO4 in water. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation was used to solve the problem, with KH2PO4 as the acid and K2HPO4 as the conjugate base. The given Ka value was used to calculate a pH of 7.4.
kk727

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of a buffer made with 10.0 g of K2HPO4 and 5.0 g of KH2PO4 in 1.0L of water.

Homework Equations

-log Ka + log (base/acid) = pH

The Attempt at a Solution

So...mathwise, I know how to do this problem. My only question is, aren't K2HPO4 and KH2PO4 both salts? How would they break up? I don't know which would be the acid or the base, and I couldn't find a Ka/Kb value to help me.

Basically I just can't figure out how they break up and what their conjugates are... :p

Physics news on Phys.org

Ignore cation. Write stepwise dissociation reactions for multiprotic acid.

So my teacher said that the KH2PO4 would be considered the acid, and that the K2HPO4 would form a strong conjugate base. I converted from grams to mols, and then to molarity. Using the given Ka value of 6.2 x 10^-8, I just plugged everything into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and got a pH of 7.4. Does this sound right? :/

Yes.

Do you understand why H2PO4- is an acid?

It is important to first determine the nature of the salts K2HPO4 and KH2PO4 in order to understand how they will behave in solution. K2HPO4 is a salt of a weak acid (H3PO4) and a strong base (KOH), while KH2PO4 is a salt of a strong acid (H3PO4) and a weak base (KOH). This means that K2HPO4 will act as a weak base in solution, while KH2PO4 will act as a weak acid.

To find the pH of the buffer, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log ([base]/[acid])

The pKa for phosphoric acid (H3PO4) is 2.12, so we can plug this value in along with the concentrations of K2HPO4 and KH2PO4 in the buffer (calculated from the given amounts and volume of water). This will give us:

pH = 2.12 + log ([K2HPO4]/[KH2PO4])

To find the concentrations of K2HPO4 and KH2PO4, we can use the fact that in a 1:1 molar ratio, they will both contribute equally to the buffer solution. This means that the total concentration of the buffer (10.0 g + 5.0 g = 15.0 g) will be equally divided between the two salts, giving us a concentration of 7.5 g/L for each salt. Converting this to moles and dividing by the volume of the buffer (1.0 L), we get a concentration of 0.075 mol/L for each salt.

Plugging this into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, we get:

pH = 2.12 + log (0.075/0.075) = 2.12 + log (1) = 2.12

Therefore, the pH of the buffer solution will be 2.12. This means that the buffer is slightly acidic, which makes sense since it is made up of a weak base (K2HPO4) and a weak acid (KH2PO4).

1. What is a buffer?

A buffer is a solution that helps maintain a stable pH level by resisting changes in acidity or alkalinity when an acid or base is added.

2. How is a buffer made?

A buffer is typically made by mixing a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid, in equal amounts. This results in a solution that can effectively resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added.

3. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer?

The pH of a buffer can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the pKa, or acid dissociation constant, of the weak acid in the buffer solution. The equation is pH = pKa + log([base]/[acid]), where [base] and [acid] refer to the concentrations of the conjugate base and weak acid, respectively.

4. What factors can affect the pH of a buffer?

The pH of a buffer can be affected by changes in temperature, concentration of the buffer components, and the addition of strong acids or bases. Additionally, dilution or evaporation of the buffer solution can also alter its pH.

5. Can a buffer have a pH of exactly 7?

No, a buffer cannot have a pH of exactly 7. A buffer is designed to resist changes in pH, and therefore will have a pH that falls within a certain range, depending on the strength of the buffer components and the pKa value. A buffer with a pH of 7 would not effectively resist changes in acidity or alkalinity.