Calculate the power of the coils in this RLC circuit

In summary, the power dissipated in the coils is imaginary because the coils have no real series resistance.
Edy56
Homework Statement
I need to solve for power of the coils
Relevant Equations
none
01.png

So my attempt was
I1*jXl1+I2*jXm=I2*(jXl2-jXc2) + I1*jXm
because they are parallel so they should have the same voltage.
I got
I1=-3*I2.
I know that J=6-j4 and that J=I1+I2 so I just plugged in what I got and I ended up getting the result for I2 and I1.
But they are not correct.
Why?
I am given R and I never use it so I assume it has something do do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, take a moment to learn LaTeX Guide. And use it to re-write your equations.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
How can there be any power dissipated in the coils?
They have no real series resistance, so the product of v, and quadrature i, is imaginary = VAR.

Baluncore said:
How can there be any power dissipated in the coils?
They have no real series resistance, so the product of v, and quadrature i, is imaginary = VAR.
In the circuit determine the complex powers of the coupled coils.

If Xm=0 then I1*jXL1=I2*j(XL2-XC).

Where is Xm located? It could be in Слика 1?

Babadag said:
If Xm=0 then I1*jXL1=I2*j(XL2-XC).

Where is Xm located? It could be in Слика 1?
no Xm= X12 which is mutual coupling.
to my knowledge, since this is coupled coils
Ul1=jXl1*I1 +\- jXm*I2
Ul2=jXl2*I1 +\- jXm*I1

Something like this?

Attachments

• Slika 2.jpg
    Slika 2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 56
Babadag said:
Something like this?
I am not too sure because we havent been taught that we can do that, but going from the videos I have seen, it would do the same thing

Are you sure they are coupled inductors? It seems odd that they wouldn't tell you the turns ratios or coupling coefficients.

This is the diagram of a transformer. Then a more simplified diagram can be used:

Attachments

• New Slika 2.jpg
    New Slika 2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 58
Then, if it is the diagram of a transformer, the left part is the primary and the right part is the secondary.
The diagram is viewed from primary side. That means, the secondary actually circuit elements [XL2 and XC] are multiplied by the square of number of turns of primary divided by number of turns of secondary.
The current through the primary and secondary windings are inversely proportional with the number of turns in windings.
N1*I1+N2*I2=N1*Io
Io is the primary current in absence of secondary current.
If N1=N2 [ since the reference to primary is already done] I1+I2=Io
Neglecting Io [usually it is about 1-3% I1] I1=-I2.
So, both current are I1=J and I2=-J
The reactances shown above: XL1 and XL2 , are connected with the leakage of magnetic flux from each winding [primary and secondary]
As it is said above, the power from coils-only in XL1 and XL2- it is only a reactive power.
Active power is only from R [ the R on the secondary side is also neglected]

this is getting a bit too complex for my level lol

1. How do you calculate the power of the coils in an RLC circuit?

The power of the coils in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula applies to both inductive and capacitive coils in the circuit.

2. What factors affect the power of the coils in an RLC circuit?

The power of the coils in an RLC circuit is affected by the resistance of the circuit, the current flowing through the coils, and the inductance or capacitance of the coils. Additionally, the frequency of the input voltage can also impact the power of the coils.

3. Can the power of the coils in an RLC circuit be negative?

Yes, the power of the coils in an RLC circuit can be negative. This occurs when the inductive and capacitive components of the circuit are out of phase, causing the power to be dissipated rather than delivered to the circuit.

4. How does the power of the coils in an RLC circuit affect the overall circuit performance?

The power of the coils in an RLC circuit is directly related to the efficiency of the circuit. A higher power indicates that more energy is being delivered to the circuit, while a lower power may indicate inefficiencies or losses in the circuit.

5. Can the power of the coils in an RLC circuit be controlled?

Yes, the power of the coils in an RLC circuit can be controlled by adjusting the resistance, current, or inductance/capacitance of the coils. This can be done by using different materials for the coils or by adding external components such as resistors or capacitors to the circuit.