Calculate the power temperature

In summary: I have corrected the errors and recalculated the power to be approximately 20.8 W. In summary, the power generated by humans converting a 2000 kcal daily diet into heat is approximately 20.8 W. The increase in temperature in a room with a volume of 15000 m^3 filled with 250 people over a 60 minute period would depend on the specific heat capacity of air as a diatomic gas. Further calculations are needed to determine the exact change in temperature.
JQ10
Edit: Topic title should read power and temperature

Homework Statement

Humans convert most of a 2000 kcal typical daily diet into heat. Calculate the power. What is the increase of temperature in a room with a volume of 15000 m^3 filled with 250 people over a 60 minute period?

Note: Power is defined as energy/time.
1kcal = 4.186kJ.
density of air = 1.29kg/m^3
molar mass of air = 29g
Treat air as a diatomic gas

Homework Equations

C = change in internal energy/ number of moles * change in temperature = f/2*R

The Attempt at a Solution

60 * 60 = 3600

2000 * 4.186 = 8372kJ/3600s = 2.3kJ/s = 2.3W

Specific Heat Capacity = 5/2 * R = 5/2 * 8.31 = 20.8 kJ/moleK

I'm really struggling with where to take it from there. I'd guess you would either use change in internal energy/ number of moles * change in temperature or use average kinetic energy = 5/2kT = 1/2mv^2rms but I'm not sure how to calculate the relevant data for either plus that doesn't use all the information given.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JQ10 said:
Humans convert most of a 2000 kcal typical daily diet into heat.
60 * 60 = 3600
2000 * 4.186 = 8372kJ/3600s = 2.3kJ/s = 2.3W

I have not played with attempting the find the specific heat of air before so I'll let someone else help you there. I can tell you that the power involved is not 2.3 W because there are not 3600 seconds in a day. Note that the problem said "daily." And a watt is not equal to kJ/s but J/s. Due to those two errors, your power is small by an order of magnitude.

Thank you for the help.

1. What is the formula for calculating power temperature?

The formula for calculating power temperature is: P = I x V, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage.

2. How do you convert temperature to power?

To convert temperature to power, you can use the formula: P = C x T, where P is power, C is a constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the unit of measurement for power temperature?

The unit of measurement for power temperature is watts (W). This unit represents the rate at which energy is transferred or converted in a system.

4. How does power temperature affect electronic devices?

Power temperature can affect electronic devices in several ways. Excess power temperature can cause overheating, which can damage or even destroy electronic components. On the other hand, insufficient power temperature can cause malfunctions or failure of the device.

5. Can power temperature be controlled?

Yes, power temperature can be controlled through various methods such as using cooling systems, regulating current and voltage, and proper placement of electronic components. This can help prevent damage to the devices and ensure their proper functioning.