Specific Heat Question: Calculating Temperature Change with Copper and Water

In summary, the problem with the attempt at a solution is that the direction of heat flow in the various components of the system was assumed to be the opposite of what it should be. This led to incorrect temperature differences in the equations and a wrong final answer. The correct approach is to assume that the final temperature will be less than the initial temperature for the heated copper piece and greater than the initial temperature for the water. These temperature differences should be reflected in the equations.
Yoruichi

Homework Statement

A copper container (mass: 100 g) holds 200 g of water. The temperature of the container and water is 20°C.
A 150-g piece of copper heated to 80°C is placed in the water. The water is stirred thoroughly. After sufficient time elapses, to what temperature does the water change? From 1 - 5 below choose the best answer. Assume that no heat is transferred to or from the environment. The specific heat of water is 4.2J/g.K, and the specific heat of copper is 0.4 J/g.K.

Homework Equations

Q=mc delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is that since no heat is transfer to or from the environment, the heat lose by the 150g piece of copper is equal to the the heat gain by the copper container and the water in it.

Let the final temperature be Tf
Let Q1 be the heat energy lose by the 150-g piece of copper
Q = mc delta T
Q1 = 150g x 0.4J/g.k x (Tf - 80°C)
= 60 Tf - 4800
Let Q2 be the heat energy gained by the copper container and the water in it
Q2 = {100g x 0.4J/g.k x (Tf - 20°C)} + {200g x 4.2J/g.k x (Tf - 20°C)}
= 40 Tf - 800 + 840 Tf - 16800
= 880 Tf - 17600
Q1 = Q2
60 Tf - 4800 = 880 Tf - 17600
820 Tf = 12800
Tf = 15.61°C

The answer is wrong, may I know what's the problem of my answer? @@

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoruichi said:

Homework Statement

A copper container (mass: 100 g) holds 200 g of water. The temperature of the container and water is 20°C.
A 150-g piece of copper heated to 80°C is placed in the water. The water is stirred thoroughly. After sufficient time elapses, to what temperature does the water change? From 1 - 5 below choose the best answer. Assume that no heat is transferred to or from the environment. The specific heat of water is 4.2J/g.K, and the specific heat of copper is 0.4 J/g.K.

Homework Equations

Q=mc delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is that since no heat is transfer to or from the environment, the heat lose by the 150g piece of copper is equal to the the heat gain by the copper container and the water in it.

Let the final temperature be Tf
Let Q1 be the heat energy lose by the 150-g piece of copper
Q = mc delta T
Q1 = 150g x 0.4J/g.k x (Tf - 80°C)
= 60 Tf - 4800
Let Q2 be the heat energy gained by the copper container and the water in it
Q2 = {100g x 0.4J/g.k x (Tf - 20°C)} + {200g x 4.2J/g.k x (Tf - 20°C)}
= 40 Tf - 800 + 840 Tf - 16800
= 880 Tf - 17600
Q1 = Q2
60 Tf - 4800 = 880 Tf - 17600
820 Tf = 12800
Tf = 15.61°C

The answer is wrong, may I know what's the problem of my answer? @@
You've assumed the opposite direction of heat flows in the various components of this system.

For example, take the 150-gram piece of copper which is heated to a temperature of 80 °C and then placed in the water. It is reasonable to assume that Tf in this case is going to be less than 80 °C. Similarly, for the water which has an initial temperature of 20 °C, it would be reasonable to assume that Tf is going to be greater than the initial temperature.

You need to correct the temperature differences in your equations to reflect these facts.

SteamKing said:
You've assumed the opposite direction of heat flows in the various components of this system.

For example, take the 150-gram piece of copper which is heated to a temperature of 80 °C and then placed in the water. It is reasonable to assume that Tf in this case is going to be less than 80 °C. Similarly, for the water which has an initial temperature of 20 °C, it would be reasonable to assume that Tf is going to be greater than the initial temperature.

You need to correct the temperature differences in your equations to reflect these facts.

Oh now I get it! How clumsy am I haha, thanks for you help :D

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the temperature change of a substance as heat is added or removed.

Why is specific heat important?

Specific heat is important because it helps us understand how different substances store and release heat energy. It also plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as cooking, thermodynamics, and climate science.

What factors affect specific heat?

The main factors that affect specific heat are the type of substance, its mass, and its temperature. Substances with higher specific heat values require more energy to change their temperature, while substances with lower specific heat values require less energy.

How is specific heat different from heat capacity?

Specific heat and heat capacity are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a specific amount of a substance, while heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of any amount of a substance.