Calculate Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio for a purely elastic material. Previous questions involved calculating the circumferential and longitudinal constraints, writing the Cauchy stress tensor in its principal base, and calculating and writing the strain tensor in two different bases. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate these parameters and mentions the possibility of looking them up in a table or setting up an experiment.
zDrajCa
Hi,

I was looking some exercices on internet about the poisson's ratio. I have just one question.

How can i calculate the young's modulus and poisson's ratio when i know that a material is purely elastical.

I calculate circonferential et longitudinal contraints and i have write the cauchy stress tensor in his principal base.

Moreover, strain gauge (45°) are put on the material which is a cylinder. And i have calculate the strain tensor in an other base and in the principal base but i don't know how to calculte this two parameters.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
These are material parameters. If you know the material, you look them up.
If not. you can set up an experiment to measure them. Which situation do you have in mind?

yes i know that i can have it in table already write. But in the exercise. They are these question : " calculate the young's modulus and poisson's ratio: we know that the material is purely elastical".

I think i have to use the answers of the previous questions which were : " calculate the circonferential and longitudinal contraints" and " write the cauchy stress tensor in his principal base" Moreover, we knew that a strain gauge (45°) was put on the cylinder which is stutied. And an other question was " calculate and write the strain tensor in the base a base (0,r,l,c) and in his principale base".

What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It describes the relationship between stress (force per unit area) and strain (deformation) of a material under uniaxial tension.

How do you calculate Young's modulus?

Young's modulus can be calculated by dividing the stress by the strain of a material. The stress is typically measured in units of force per unit area (such as N/m2 or Pa), while the strain is a unitless quantity.

What is Poisson's ratio?

Poisson's ratio is a measure of the lateral contraction that occurs when a material is stretched in one direction. It is defined as the negative ratio of transverse strain to axial strain.

How do you calculate Poisson's ratio?

Poisson's ratio can be calculated by dividing the lateral strain (change in width) by the axial strain (change in length) of a material. The resulting value is a unitless quantity, typically between -1 and 0.5.

What factors can affect Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio?

The properties of a material, such as its composition and microstructure, can affect Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and loading conditions can also impact these parameters.