Calculating Acceleration in Elevators and Balloons

• Thread starter Moe_the_Genius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Scale
In summary, the student stands on a scale in an elevator on the 64th floor of a building. As the elevator moves up, the scale reading increases to 936N, then decreases back to 836N. Using proportionality, the elevator's acceleration can be found to be 1.17 m/s^2.
Moe_the_Genius
1. A student stands on a bathroom scale in an elevator at rest on the 64th floor of a building. The scale reads 836 N. As the elevator moves up, the scale reading increases to 936 N, then decreases back to 836 N. Find the acceleration of the elevator.

2. The instruments attached to a weather balloon have a mass of 5.0 kg. The balloon is released and exerts an upward force of 98 N on the instruments. What is the acceleration of the balloon and the instruments? After the balloon has accelerated for 10 s, the instruments are released. What is the velocity of the instruments at the moment of their release?

For the first one, I don't understand what it means by "increases to 936 N". Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The scale's display reads 936 N rather than 836 N.

I'm assuming this is homework so please show us an attempt at doing the problem.

Okay, for your first problem, the increase in weight, in Newtons, occurs becaus the elevator moves up. For instance, when you're in an elevator, you feel heavier when going up, vice versa for going down, you feel lighter. For the problem itself, you might be able to use F=Ma, where your force is the difference between 936 and 836, which is 100, and the mass is just the original divided by 9.8=>kgs. I tried the problem out, and I got a decent acceleration. I may be wrong because I'm used to having time and distance thrown in.

Last edited:
Moe_the_Genius said:
1. A student stands on a bathroom scale in an elevator at rest on the 64th floor of a building. The scale reads 836 N. As the elevator moves up, the scale reading increases to 936 N, then decreases back to 836 N. Find the acceleration of the elevator.

For the first one, I don't understand what it means by "increases to 936 N". Thanks for any help.

The scale reads 936N instead of 836N.

The question can be solved using proportionality.

836N/9.8m/s^2 = 936N/xm/s^2

x = (936*9.8)/836

x = 10.97

So that is your "gravity". Subtract actual gravity from that number and you get the elevator's acceleration of 1.17 m/s^2.

Both ways work, I took a different approach, but my answer also comes out to be 1.17.

Related to Calculating Acceleration in Elevators and Balloons

1. What is the "bathroom scale force problem"?

The bathroom scale force problem refers to the discrepancy between the weight measured by a bathroom scale and the actual force exerted on the scale by an object. This problem arises due to the difference between weight (a measure of gravitational force) and mass (a measure of the amount of matter in an object).

2. Why do bathroom scales often give inaccurate readings?

Bathroom scales use a spring or strain gauge to measure the force exerted on them. These mechanisms are designed to measure the weight of an object, assuming it is located at the center of the Earth. However, the Earth's gravitational pull varies slightly depending on an object's location, resulting in small inaccuracies in the scale's readings.

3. How can I get a more accurate measurement on my bathroom scale?

To get a more accurate measurement on your bathroom scale, it is important to ensure that the scale is on a flat and stable surface. Additionally, try to stand as still as possible while taking the measurement. You can also try weighing yourself at the same time of day, as weight can fluctuate throughout the day due to factors such as hydration and food intake.

4. Can the bathroom scale force problem be solved?

While the bathroom scale force problem cannot be completely eliminated, there are ways to minimize its impact. Some modern scales use advanced technology, such as load cells, to provide more accurate readings. Additionally, regularly calibrating your scale can help ensure its accuracy.

5. How does the bathroom scale force problem relate to other scientific concepts?

The bathroom scale force problem relates to the scientific concepts of weight, mass, and gravitational force. It also highlights the importance of precision and accuracy in measurement, which is a key aspect of the scientific method.