Calculating Amplitude in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the individual is struggling with finding the value for amplitude in two separate review problems. The first problem involves a mass attached to a spring and the second problem involves a simple pendulum. In the first problem, the individual assumes the amplitude is 0.1m, but is unsure how to justify it and is seeking an explanation or insight on how to find the correct value. In the second problem, the individual attempted to use the given information to solve for A, but is stuck because they do not know the value of θ.
asteeves_
I have encountered two separate review problems that have to do with finding a value for amplitude and I am really struggling with it.

1. Homework Statement

Question 1-
A mass of 3kg is free to move on a horizontal frictionless surface and attached to a spring of k=15 N/m. It is displaced from equilibrium by 0.1m to the right and released from rest. What is the amplitude of the oscillation ?

Question 2-
A simple pendulum consists of a 4kg mass attached to a 3m long rope. At t=0 it is moving to the right at 0.4m/s. What is the maximum angle to which it swings?

Homework Equations

(1) x=Acos(wt+θ)
(2) v=-wAsin(wt+θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Question 1-
I assumed the amplitude was equal to 0.1m from the question however I have a lot of trouble justifying it to myself. If this is intact the case I would really appreciate an explanation as to why, if not some insight on how to find A would be very helpful.

Question 2-
I attempted to solve for A using equation 2 and the information given regarding t=0 but ran into the issue of not knowing the value of θ, and have kind of hit a road block now.

Physics news on Phys.org
asteeves_ said:
I have encountered two separate review problems that have to do with finding a value for amplitude and I am really struggling with it.

1. Homework Statement

Question 1-
A mass of 3kg is free to move on a horizontal frictionless surface and attached to a spring of k=15 N/m. It is displaced from equilibrium by 0.1m to the right and released from rest. What is the amplitude of the oscillation ?

Question 2-
A simple pendulum consists of a 4kg mass attached to a 3m long rope. At t=0 it is moving to the right at 0.4m/s. What is the maximum angle to which it swings?

Homework Equations

(1) x=Acos(wt+θ)
(2) v=-wAsin(wt+θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Question 1-
I assumed the amplitude was equal to 0.1m from the question however I have a lot of trouble justifying it to myself. If this is intact the case I would really appreciate an explanation as to why, if not some insight on how to find A would be very helpful.
The mass is displaced by 0.1 m to the right from equilibrium, and then released at t=0. It means that the velocity is 0 at t=0. Substitute t=0, x=0.1 and v=0 into the equations (1) and (2). What do you get for θ and A?

asteeves_ said:
Question 2-
I attempted to solve for A using equation 2 and the information given regarding t=0 but ran into the issue of not knowing the value of θ, and have kind of hit a road block now.
The pendulum moves to the right at t=0, not to the right and up, so it moves horizontally at that instant. At what angle does it move horizontally?
(You can apply also conservation of energy to get the maximum angle it swings.)

Last edited:

1. What is amplitude in simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Amplitude in SHM refers to the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position during one complete oscillation. It is a measure of the object's maximum potential energy and is equal to half of the total range of motion.

2. How is amplitude calculated in SHM?

To calculate amplitude in SHM, you need to know the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position and the range of motion. The amplitude is then equal to half of the range of motion (A = 0.5 x range of motion).

3. What is the unit of amplitude in SHM?

The unit of amplitude in SHM is the same as the unit of displacement, which is meters (m) in the SI system.

4. Can the amplitude in SHM be negative?

No, amplitude in SHM cannot be negative. It represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, so it is always a positive value.

5. How does amplitude affect the period of oscillation in SHM?

Amplitude does not affect the period of oscillation in SHM. The period is solely determined by the mass and the spring constant of the system, and is independent of the amplitude.