Eigenstates of helicity operator

In summary: If you're solving for \lambda\in\lvert p_R,\lambda\rangle, then the constraints are:- \lambda=-\frac{1}{2}\lvert p_R,\lambda\rangle- \lambda=-\frac{1}{3}\lvert p_R,\lambda\rangle- \ldots
CharlieCW

Homework Statement

For massless particles, we can take as reference the vector ##p^{\mu}_R=(1,0,0,1)## and note that any vector ##p## can be written as ##p^{\mu}=L(p)^{\mu}_{\nu}p^{\nu}_R##, where ##L(p)## is the Lorentz transform of the form

$$L(p)=exp(i\phi J^{(21)})exp(i\theta J^{(13)})exp(i\alpha J^{(30)})$$

Where ##(\theta,\phi)## are the spherical coordinates of ##\vec{p}## and ##\alpha=sinh^{-1}(\frac{1}{2}(p^0-1/p^0))##. This allows to define the general state for the massless particle as:

$$|p,\lambda\rangle=U(L(p))|p_R,\lambda\rangle$$

Where ##|p_R,\lambda\rangle## is an eigenstate with value ##\lambda## of the operator ##J_3##. Show that ##|p,\lambda\rangle## is an eigenstate of the helicity operator ##\frac{\vec{p}}{|\vec{p}|}\cdot\vec{J}##.

Homework Equations

$$J_3|p_R,\lambda\rangle=\lambda|p_R,\lambda\rangle$$

$$\vec{p}=|\vec{p}|(sin\theta cos\phi, sin\theta sin\phi, cos\theta )$$

$$U(\Lambda_a)U(\Lambda_b)=U(\Lambda_a \Lambda_b)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For the last week, I've been trying to verify this last statement by expanding the exponentials or using commutators. For example, by using the commutation relationship

$$[J_i,J_k]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k$$

But I only end with non-reducible expressions. I also tried expanding the exponentials of the operators using the relationship

$$e^{A}=1+A+\frac{1}{2}A^2+\frac{1}{6}A^3+...$$

Without arriving at a result. Particulary, I don't understand how to act using the unitary transformations, as when I even try to start by calculating:

$$|p,\lambda\rangle=U(L(p))|p_R,\lambda\rangle)=U(exp(i\phi J^{(21)})exp(i\theta J^{(13)})exp(i\alpha J^{(30)}))|p_R,\lambda\rangle$$

Or even the direct calculation:

$$(\frac{\vec{p}}{|\vec{p}|}\cdot\vec{J})|p_R,\lambda\rangle=(\frac{\vec{p}}{|\vec{p}|}\cdot\vec{J})U(L(p))|p_R,\lambda\rangle)$$

I don't know how to reduce terms. Do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-5_14-2-33.png
    upload_2018-9-5_14-2-33.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your approach is going to need to be a bit more algebraic. Rather than trying to expand those exponential representation operators, you'll want to map the question back to a question about the reference vector, and take advantage of the fact that we're talking here about the Lorentz group (with inverses and everything!).

Given:
[tex]|p,\lambda\rangle=U(L(p))|p_R,\lambda\rangle[/tex]
then
[tex]U(L(p))^{-1}|p,\lambda\rangle=|p_R,\lambda\rangle[/tex]
now try to frame the eigen-value question you're being asked to the transformed question on [itex]\lvert p_R, \lambda\rangle[/itex].

This is the basic transform--solve--transform-back method.

1. What are eigenstates of the helicity operator?

Eigenstates of the helicity operator are quantum states that have a definite value for the helicity operator, which measures the angular momentum projection along the direction of motion.

2. What is the significance of eigenstates of the helicity operator in particle physics?

In particle physics, the helicity operator is used to describe the spin of particles. The eigenstates of the helicity operator correspond to the possible spin orientations of a particle, and can help determine the behavior and interactions of particles.

3. How are eigenstates of the helicity operator related to the concept of chirality?

Eigenstates of the helicity operator are closely related to the concept of chirality, which describes the asymmetry of a particle's wave function. In general, particles with different helicities also have different chiralities.

4. How can eigenstates of the helicity operator be experimentally observed?

Eigenstates of the helicity operator can be observed through experiments such as scattering experiments, where the spin of particles can be measured and used to determine the eigenstate of the helicity operator.

5. Are eigenstates of the helicity operator conserved in all interactions?

No, eigenstates of the helicity operator are not always conserved in interactions. In certain interactions, such as weak interactions, particles can change their helicity states. However, in other interactions, such as electromagnetic interactions, the helicity states are conserved.