Calculating Arc Length of a Curve: A Calculus II Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact length of a curve using the Length formula (Leibniz). The derivative of the function is calculated and there is some confusion about the integration process. However, after simplifying 1+y'^2, the final integral becomes simpler and the correct answer is obtained.
LBK

Homework Statement

Find the exact length of the curve: y= 1/4 x2-1/2 ln(x) where 1<=x<=2

Homework Equations

Using the Length formula (Leibniz) given in my book, L=Int[a,b] sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)
I found derivative of f to be (x2-1)/2x does that look correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found f' to be (x2-1)/2x does that look correct? I'm thinking I must be off on something because I get a wrong answer. Either that or my integration. I am trying to use tables in the book for that, and not sure about that either. I am trying to sub u for that (dy/dx) part when integrating, for which I think I can use the form:
int sqrt(u2+a2)=1/2 (u*sqrt(u2+a2)+a2ln|u+ sqrt(u2+a2)
When I put my value back in for u, it turns into a big mess. When I plug in my x values I got 15/32 +ln 2. This isn't right, the book has 3/4 + 1/2 ln 2 if that helps. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write [itex]y'[/itex] in the simpler form [itex]\frac12(x - \frac{1}{x})[/itex]. Take a closer look at [itex]1 + y'^2[/itex], and consider the identity [itex](a + b)^2 = (a - b)^2 + 4ab[/itex].

Likes LBK
Like many textbook problems on arc length, this one is cooked up so that the square root simplifies to something nice. As it turns out, 1 + y'2 is a perfect square, so the final integral doesn't involve a radical and is pretty simple. I get the same answer as the textbook.

Likes LBK
ah, I get it now. Thanks, you guys rock. I'll definitely be back lol.

1. What is the arc length problem in Calculus II?

The arc length problem in Calculus II involves finding the length of a curve on a graph, also known as the arc length. This is done by using integration to calculate the distance along a curve between two points.

2. How do you find the arc length of a curve?

To find the arc length of a curve, you must first set up the integral using the formula: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx. Then, you integrate the formula with respect to x, and evaluate it between the two given points on the curve.

3. What is the difference between arc length and distance?

Arc length is a measure of the length of a curve, while distance is a measure of the shortest path between two points. Arc length takes into account the curvature of a curve, while distance does not.

4. Can the arc length of a curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a curve cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the distance along the curve between two points.

5. What are some real-life applications of the arc length problem in Calculus II?

The arc length problem has many real-life applications, including calculating the length of a river, the curvature of a road, and the distance traveled by an object following a curved path. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture.