Weierstrass zeta & sigma fncts, pseudo-periodicity identity

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Weierstrass zeta function to show that the sigma function is an odd function. The user made a mistake in determining the value of A, which resulted in a minus sign instead of (-1)^m in the final expression. The correct value of A is -exp(-m^2n_iw_i/2).
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Let ##{w_1,w_2} ## be a basis for ##\Omega## the period lattice.

Use ##\zeta (z+ w_{i})=\zeta(z)+ n_i## , ##i=1,2## ; ## m \in N## for the weierstrass zeta function to show that

##\sigma ( z + mw_i )=(-1)^m \exp^{(mn_i(z+mwi/2))}\sigma(z)##

Homework Equations

[/B]
To note that ##\sigma(z)## is an odd function.

##\zeta(z)=\frac{\sigma'(z)}{\sigma(z)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am pretty close but messing up with not getting ##(-1)^m##

From ##\zeta (z+ w_{i})=\zeta(z)+ n_i## I get ##\zeta (z+ mw_{i})=\zeta(z)+ mn_i## .
##\frac{d}{dz} \log \sigma(z+mw_i) = \frac{d}{dz} \log \sigma(z) + mn_i##
## \sigma(z+mw_i) = \sigma(z)\exp{mn_i z} A ## , ##A## a constant of integration.

And now to determine ##A## I use the oddness of ##\sigma(z)## (odd as in odd function..) by setting ##z=\frac{-mw_i}{2}##:
##\sigma(\frac{mw_i}{2})=\sigma(\frac{-mw_i}{2})A\exp^{-m^2n_iw_i/2}##
##\implies A= - \exp^{\frac{m^2n_iw_i}{2}}##
## \sigma(z+mw_i) = - \sigma(z)\exp{mn_i (z+mw_i/2)} ##
So I have a minus sign rather than ##(-1)^m## could someone please tell me what I have done wrong?
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like you made a mistake when determining the value of A. When setting z = -mw_i/2, you should get:
sigma(-mw_i/2) = sigma(mw_i/2)Aexp(-m^2n_iw_i/2)
This gives you A = -exp(-m^2n_iw_i/2), which would give you the correct result of (-1)^m in the final expression.

1. What are Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions?

The Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions are mathematical functions used in complex analysis. They are defined as follows:

Zeta function: $\zeta(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(z+n)^s}$

Sigma function: $\sigma(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(z+n)^s}$

These functions are closely related to the Riemann zeta function and have important applications in number theory and other areas of mathematics.

2. What is the pseudo-periodicity identity for the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions?

The pseudo-periodicity identity for the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions is a relationship between the values of these functions at different points in the complex plane. It is given by:

$\zeta(z+1) = \zeta(z)$

$\sigma(z+1) = -e^{-2\pi iz}\sigma(z)$

This identity is useful for computing the values of these functions at certain points, as it allows for the use of periodicity and symmetry properties.

3. What does it mean for the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions to be pseudo-periodic?

A function is said to be pseudo-periodic if it exhibits a periodic-like behavior, but not necessarily with respect to a constant period. In the case of the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions, the pseudo-periodicity identity shows that they have a periodic-like behavior with respect to shifts by 1 in the complex plane.

4. How are the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions related to the Weierstrass elliptic functions?

The Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions are closely related to the Weierstrass elliptic functions, which are a special class of elliptic functions. Specifically, the Weierstrass zeta function is the logarithmic derivative of the Weierstrass elliptic function, while the Weierstrass sigma function is the square root of the Weierstrass elliptic function.

5. What are some applications of the Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions?

The Weierstrass zeta and sigma functions have many applications in mathematics, including in number theory, complex analysis, and differential equations. They are also used in the study of elliptic curves and their applications in cryptography. Additionally, these functions have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as special functions and modular forms.