Calculating average energy of a system with 3 energy levels

In summary, the system is not in equilibrium because the probability of being in each energy level is not equal. The average energy of the system is 1/3 of the energy in level E.
thercias

Homework Statement

A system has three energy levels, E1=0, E2 =1 and E3 = 2.
In a certain state of the system, the probability that energy level 1 is occupied is 0.1, that energy level 2 is occupied is 0.8, and that energy level 3 is occupied is 0.1. Is this an equilibrium or a non-equilibrium state of the system? Explain why or why not. What is the average energy of the system in this state?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first part, I said that it was not in equilibrium because the system is at equilibrium when the disorder is at its greatest. The disorder is at its maximum when thermal energy is dispersed evenly within the 3 energy levels, and would therefore be equally probable in each three states. Since they are not equally probable, it is not in equilibrium.
For the second part, I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way.
I put E = E1 + E2 + E3
because of their probability, we get

E = 0.1E1 + 0.8E2 + 0.1E3, and given E = 3/2 KT we get
10E = 3/2KT1 + 8(3/2KT2) + 3/2KT3
10E = 3/2K(T1 + 8T2 + T3)
E= 3/20K(T1 + 8T2 + T3)
Avg energy = 1/3E = 1/20K(T1+8T2+T3)

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right or they want it this way, help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there's more to the problem statement you didn't mention. But where did the E = 3/2 KT come from? That does not appear in the problem statement. Plus, if I'm remembering correctly, it's 1/2 KT per degree of freedom, so where does the 3 come from? Also, what are T1, T2, and T3?

Equilibrium does not necessarily mean thermal equilibrium. It means the system is quasi stable. That is, it means the probability of being in a state does not change over time.

Even for thermal equilibrium, it does not necessarily mean the probability of being in each possible state is the same. Suppose the total energy of the system is very small, say about 0.01. What does that then mean about the probability of being in state E3?

Thercias forgot to mention some relevant equations. If he/she corrects that omission, I'm sure we can guide him/her to a deeper understanding of the matter at hand..

He/she knows more than he/she let's on, because bringing in the kT smells like he/she has been in contact with Boltzmann distributions in the context of this exercise. Right ?

1. How do you calculate the average energy of a system with 3 energy levels?

To calculate the average energy of a system with 3 energy levels, you need to multiply the energy of each level by its respective probability and then add all the results together. The formula for average energy is: E(avg) = p1E1 + p2E2 + p3E3, where p1, p2, and p3 are the probabilities of each energy level and E1, E2, and E3 are the energies of each level.

2. What is the significance of calculating the average energy in a system with 3 energy levels?

The average energy of a system with 3 energy levels gives us an understanding of the overall energy distribution in the system. It helps us predict the most probable energy state and determine the stability of the system. It is also a useful tool in studying the behavior of particles in the system and making predictions about their interactions.

3. How can you determine the probabilities of each energy level in a system with 3 energy levels?

The probabilities of each energy level in a system with 3 energy levels can be determined by dividing the degeneracy (number of states with the same energy) of each level by the total degeneracy of the system. The higher the degeneracy of a level, the higher its probability of being occupied by a particle.

4. Can the average energy of a system with 3 energy levels change over time?

Yes, the average energy of a system with 3 energy levels can change over time if the probabilities of the energy levels change. This could happen due to external factors such as temperature, pressure, or interactions with other systems. The average energy can also change if there is a change in the number of particles in the system.

5. How does the average energy of a system with 3 energy levels relate to the total energy of the system?

The average energy of a system with 3 energy levels is a representation of the average energy per particle in the system. It is related to the total energy of the system by the number of particles present. For example, if there are more particles in the system, the total energy will be higher, and therefore the average energy will also increase.