Calculating average every from partition function

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average energy (E) from the Partition function (Z), with Z defined as (1/1-exp(-Beta*h*f)) and Beta=1/kT. The person is having trouble getting the same answer as the textbook and is seeking help with the differentiation. The final answer is apparently (h*f) /(exp(Beta*h*f) -1 ). A helpful tip is provided that \frac{dZ}{d \beta}=-hfe^{-\beta h f}Z^2.
planesinspace
1. I can't seem to get the same answer my textbook does, basically I need to calculate E (average energy) from the Partition function (Z) which is defined as:

E=(-1/Z)*(dZ/dBeta)

Where Z=(1/1-exp(-Beta*h*f))
(where h and f are constants and beta=1/kT for simplicity)

So for my differentiation I get:
dZ/dBeta= -h*f*exp(-Beta*h*f)) / (1-2exp(-Beta*h*f))+exp(-2*Beta*h*f))

Which when multiplied by 1/Z gives:
-h*f + h*f*exp(-Beta*h*f) / (1-exp(-Beta*h*f) + exp(-2*Beta*h*f)

When the answer is apparently:

(h*f) /(exp(Beta*h*f) -1 )

Any help greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that

[tex]\frac{dZ}{d \beta}=-hfe^{-\beta h f}Z^2[/tex]

Does this help?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating average every from partition function

1. What is a partition function in scientific calculations?

A partition function is a mathematical function used in statistical mechanics to calculate the average value of a physical quantity. It takes into account the different states or energy levels that a system can occupy, and assigns a probability to each state.

2. How is the average value calculated from a partition function?

The average value of a physical quantity can be calculated by taking the sum of the quantity multiplied by its corresponding probability for each state, as determined by the partition function. This provides a weighted average, taking into account the likelihood of each state.

3. Can you give an example of using a partition function to calculate an average?

One example could be using a partition function to calculate the average energy of a gas molecule in a given volume and temperature. The partition function would take into account the energy levels available to the molecule and their corresponding probabilities, and the average energy could be calculated from this information.

4. What are the limitations of using a partition function to calculate averages?

A partition function assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that the system's temperature is constant. It also assumes that the system is in a state of ideal gas, which may not always be the case. These assumptions can limit the accuracy of using a partition function to calculate averages.

5. How does the partition function relate to other statistical mechanics concepts?

The partition function is a central concept in statistical mechanics and is closely related to other important concepts such as entropy and free energy. It is also used in the calculation of other thermodynamic quantities such as heat capacity and chemical potential.