Pressure Difference to Make Blood Flow Thru Artery

In summary, the pressure difference required to make blood flow through an artery of inner radius 2.0 mm and length 0.18 m at a speed of 5.6 cm/s is 80.64 Pa. There may be some discrepancies in the value of blood viscosity, as some sources report it as 3e-3 to 4e-3 while others report it as 2.1e-3. These discrepancies may have contributed to any errors in calculation. It is also important to note if there are any other variables that need to be considered in the problem.
dvolpe

Homework Statement

What is the pressure difference required to make blood flow through an artery of inner radius 2.0 mm and length 0.18 m at a speed of 5.6 cm/s?

Homework Equations

P1-P2 = Q8nL/pi*r fourth
or P1-P2 = velocity*8*viscosity of blood*L/rsquared
viscosity of blood = 4 x 10e-3
r = 2.0 mm = 2 x 10e-3 m
l = .18 m

The Attempt at a Solution

P1-P2 = .056*8*4x10e-3*.18/(2x10e-3)(2x10e-3)
P1- P2 = .322 x 10e-3/4 x 10e-6 = .08064 x 10e3 = 80.64 Pa

This is wrong when I submit it? HELP asap?

I read that whole blood viscosity at 37 degrees celsius is from 3e-3 to 4e-3; in one book it says 2.1e-3? What do I use as I suspect that is what caused my error?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dvolpe said:

Homework Statement

What is the pressure difference required to make blood flow through an artery of inner radius 2.0 mm and length 0.18 m at a speed of 5.6 cm/s?

Homework Equations

P1-P2 = Q8nL/pi*r fourth
or P1-P2 = velocity*8*viscosity of blood*L/rsquared
viscosity of blood = 4 x 10e-3
r = 2.0 mm = 2 x 10e-3 m
l = .18 m

The Attempt at a Solution

P1-P2 = .056*8*4x10e-3*.18/(2x10e-3)(2x10e-3)
P1- P2 = .322 x 10e-3/4 x 10e-6 = .08064 x 10e3 = 80.64 Pa

This is wrong when I submit it? HELP asap?

I read that whole blood viscosity at 37 degrees celsius is from 3e-3 to 4e-3; in one book it says 2.1e-3? What do I use as I suspect that is what caused my error?

Are there any other variables?

1. What is pressure difference?

Pressure difference is the difference in pressure between two points in a system. In the context of blood flow through an artery, it refers to the difference in pressure between the beginning and end of the artery.

2. How does pressure difference affect blood flow?

Pressure difference plays a crucial role in blood flow through an artery. It creates a pressure gradient that allows blood to move from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This movement of blood is necessary for maintaining proper circulation in the body.

3. What causes pressure difference in the arteries?

The pressure difference in arteries is primarily caused by the pumping action of the heart. As the heart contracts, it creates a high pressure in the arteries, which decreases as the blood flows through the arteries and into the smaller blood vessels.

4. How is pressure difference measured in the arteries?

Pressure difference in the arteries is typically measured using a blood pressure cuff and a sphygmomanometer. The cuff is placed around the upper arm and inflated to temporarily stop blood flow. The pressure is then released slowly, and the reading on the sphygmomanometer indicates the pressure difference in the arteries.

5. What happens if there is a significant pressure difference in the arteries?

If there is a significant pressure difference in the arteries, it can indicate underlying health issues such as high blood pressure or atherosclerosis. These conditions can lead to reduced blood flow and potentially serious health consequences, highlighting the importance of maintaining a healthy pressure difference in the arteries.