Calculating Bragg Angle from Unit Cell in Cubic Crystal

In summary, the task is to determine the Bragg angle for reflections from the planes (200), (212), and (-112) in a cubic crystal with a unit cell of 2.74Å and an x-ray wavelength of 1.54Å. Using Bragg's condition and the Laue condition, the Bragg angles can be calculated for each plane. The equations used are 2d sinθ = nλ and d = 2π/|G| or d = a/√(h^2 + k^2 + l^2), where a is the edge length and |G| is the magnitude of G. The calculated Bragg angles for (200), (212), and (-
VulpineNinja

Homework Statement

The unit cell in a cubic crystal is 2.74Å. Determine the Bragg angle for reflections from the planes (200), (212) and (-112). [sorry i don't know how to put a bar on top of the numbers] if the x-ray wavelength used is 1.54Å

Homework Equations

Given Bragg's condition as 2d sinθ = nλ

and d = 2π /|G|
where G = ha* + kb* + lc* according to Laue condition.

there's also d = a /√(h^2 + k^2 + l^2 )

where a is the edge length.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since d is the distance between planes in atomic lattice, I guess it meant the distance of (200), (212) and (-112) to the origin. So I calculated is by finding the magnitude of G. Then i got confused by the two d equations. Should I use 2π or a to divide with |G| to find the Bragg angle? I thought a is more logical, but the 2π /|G|[/I] is making me confused. What are the difference between them?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (200): |G| = 2π/a, θ = arcsin(nλ/2π) = arcsin(nλ/a)For (212): |G| = √8π^2/a , θ = arcsin(nλ/√8π^2) = arcsin(nλ/a)For (-112): |G| = √8π^2/a , θ = arcsin(nλ/√8π^2) = arcsin(nλ/a)Are these correct?

Related to Calculating Bragg Angle from Unit Cell in Cubic Crystal

1. How do I calculate the Bragg angle from a unit cell in a cubic crystal?

The Bragg angle can be calculated using the formula θ = sin⁻¹(λ/2d), where θ is the Bragg angle, λ is the wavelength of the incident radiation, and d is the lattice spacing of the crystal. For a cubic crystal, the lattice spacing can be determined by dividing the length of one side of the unit cell by the square root of 3.

2. Can the Bragg angle be negative?

No, the Bragg angle cannot be negative. It represents the angle at which the incident radiation is diffracted by the crystal, and must always be a positive value.

3. What is the significance of the Bragg angle in crystallography?

The Bragg angle is important in crystallography because it allows us to determine the position of atoms within a crystal lattice. By measuring the angle at which the incident radiation is diffracted, we can calculate the lattice spacing and use this information to determine the arrangement of atoms within the crystal.

4. How does the Bragg angle change with different crystal orientations?

The Bragg angle is dependent on the lattice spacing of the crystal, which is determined by the orientation of the crystal. Therefore, the Bragg angle will change for different crystal orientations. For a cubic crystal, the Bragg angle will be different for different Miller indices (hkl) of the crystal planes being diffracted.

5. Can the Bragg angle be used to identify different crystal structures?

Yes, the Bragg angle can be used to identify different crystal structures. Each crystal structure has a unique lattice spacing, which will result in a specific Bragg angle for a given incident radiation. By measuring the Bragg angle, we can compare it to known values for different crystal structures and determine the structure of the crystal being studied.