Resistivity mean free path and scattering time of copper

In summary, the question is asking for an estimate of the electron mean free path in copper at low temperatures, given that the ratio of copper resistivity at room and absolute zero temperatures is 1000. We also know that at room temperature, copper has an electrical conductivity of 105 Ohm-1 cm-1, an electron density of 1023 cm-3, and a Fermi velocity of 106 m/s. Using the formula mean free path = scattering time x velocity of electron, where the velocity of electron can be approximated to the Fermi velocity, we can find the scattering time at absolute zero by using the fact that resistivity is inversely proportional to scattering time. From lecture notes, we know that the typical
SMC
so this is the question I'm having a little trouble with:

Assume that the ratio of copper resistivity at room and absolute zero temperatures (so called "residual resistance ratio") is 1000. Estimate the electron mean free path in copper at low temperatures.

we also know this:

Let us assume that at room temperature copper has the electrical conductivity of 105 Ohm-1 cm-1 , and that its electron density is 1023 cm-3 and its Fermi velocity is 106 m/s.

so i know: mean free path = scattering time x velocity of electron
and velocity of electron can be approximated to fermi velocity

the question tells us: resistivity(room temp)/resistivity(T=0)=1000

resistivity in inversely proportional to scattering time so: scattering time(T=0)/scattering time(room temp)=1000

now my lecture notes say the typical value for scattering time in a metal (i assume at room temp.) is 10-14 seconds
so scattering time(T=0) is 1000 x 10-14=10-11 seconds right?

i also know from lecture notes that vf = \sqrt{\frac{2kTf}{m}} and typical value for fremi velocity in metals is 106 m/s. (k is Boltzmann constant and Tf is fermi temp. )

but how do i find the value of vf for low temp?

ps sorry i haven't used latex in a while so I'm not really sure why the expression for fermi velocity isn't showing correctly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fermi velocity is far above thermal velocities, it won't change significantly between absolute zero and room temperature.
SMC said:
now my lecture notes say the typical value for scattering time in a metal (i assume at room temp.) is 10-14 seconds
I'm not sure if you are supposed to use this. That would ignore the copper-specific values for conductivity and electron density.

1. What is resistivity and how is it related to copper?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is related to copper because copper is a highly conductive material with low resistivity, meaning it allows for easy flow of electricity.

2. What is the mean free path of copper?

The mean free path of copper is the average distance an electron can travel in a material before it collides with another particle. In copper, this distance is typically very short due to the high density of electrons.

3. How does the resistivity of copper change with temperature?

The resistivity of copper increases with temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more and impede the movement of electrons, making it harder for electricity to flow.

4. What factors affect the scattering time of copper?

The scattering time of copper is affected by the temperature, impurities in the material, and the strength of the electric field. As these factors change, the scattering time of copper can increase or decrease.

5. How is resistivity mean free path and scattering time of copper related to its conductivity?

Resistivity, mean free path, and scattering time are all important factors in determining the conductivity of a material. In general, materials with low resistivity, long mean free paths, and long scattering times have high conductivity, meaning they are good conductors of electricity. This is why copper, with its low resistivity and high mean free path and scattering time, is such a widely used material in electrical applications.