Calculating cosmic velocities using different frames of reference

In summary, the problem can be solved using the Earth frame of reference, where we require that the hyperbolic excess velocity with respect to the Earth is equal to the speed of the Earth around the sun. When considering energy conservation per unit mass in the Earth frame, we can use the equation $$-\frac{\mu}{r} + \frac{1}{2}v^2 = \frac{1}{2}v_{\infty}^2$$ and solve for the velocity, which reduces to $$v = \sqrt{v_{\infty}^2 + v_e^2}$$ using the equation ##v_e^2 = \frac{2\mu}{r}##. However, when performing the
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Determine the cosmic velocity required for a trajectory into the sun
Relevant Equations
N/A
This problem is conventionally solved using the Earth frame of reference. We require that the hyperbolic excess velocity w.r.t. the Earth has the same magnitude as the speed of the Earth around the sun, so that we zero the velocity in the heliocentric frame. Energy conservation per unit mass in the Earth frame looks like$$-\frac{\mu}{r} + \frac{1}{2}v^2 = \frac{1}{2}v_{\infty}^2$$ $$v^2 = v_{\infty}^2 + v_e^2 \implies v = \sqrt{v_{\infty}^2 + v_e^2} = \sqrt{v_E^2 + v_e^2}$$using ##v_e^2 = \frac{2\mu}{r}##. But now as a sanity check I tried to perform the same calculation in the heliocentric frame. In the heliocentric frame gravitational forces will do work on the Earth which we must take into account. We transform our velocities into the heliocentric frame by adding back ##\vec{v}_E(t)##, the velocity of the Earth, so that energy conservation now looks like$$-\frac{\mu}{r} + \frac{1}{2}(v-v_E)^2 + \frac{1}{2} \frac{M_E}{m} v_E^2 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{M_E}{m} {v_E'}^2$$ $$(v-v_E)^2 = v_e^2 + \frac{M_E}{m}({v_E'}^2 - v_E^2)$$We can safely apply momentum conservation in this frame, which yields that$$v_E' = \frac{M_Ev_E - m(v-v_E)}{M_E} = v_E - \frac{m}{M}(v-v_E)$$ $${v_E'}^2 = v_E^2 - \frac{2m}{M_E}(v-v_E)v_E + \left (\frac{m}{M_E} \right)^2 (v-v_E)^2$$ $$\implies \frac{M_E}{m}({v_E'}^2 - v_E^2) = \frac{M_E}{m} \left(- \frac{2m}{M_E}(v-v_E)v_E + \left (\frac{m}{M_E} \right)^2 (v-v_E)^2 \right) = -2v_E (v - v_E) + \frac{m}{M_E}(v-v_E)^2$$we put this back into our energy equation,$$(v-v_E)^2 = v_e^2 -2v_E (v - v_E) + \frac{m}{M_E}(v-v_E)^2 = v_e^2 -2v v_E+ 2v_E^2 + \frac{m}{M_E}(v-v_E)^2$$ $$v^2 = v_e^2 + v_E^2 + \frac{m}{M_E}(v-v_E)^2$$It definitely reduces to the first case in the limit ##\frac{m}{M_E} \ll 1##, but I have never seen this latter equation written so I hope I have not made a mistake? Surely the error in the first approach is that it fails to take into account the change in the velocity of the Earth when nullifying the heliocentric velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the term "cosmic velocity" in this context, are you referring to the orbital escape velocity for an Earth satellite in the Earth+Sun gravity field?

I think that if ## \neg( \frac{m}{M_E} \ll 1) ## then you cannot make the assumption that ## r ## can be measured to the centre of the Earth and not the barycentre of the Earth-Satellite system and all these approximations fail.

pbuk said:
I think that if ## \neg( \frac{m}{M_E} \ll 1) ## then you cannot make the assumption that ## r ## can be measured to the centre of the Earth and not the barycentre of the Earth-Satellite system and all these approximations fail.

##r## is defined as the distance between the satellite and the centre of the Earth, so it is not an assumption.

pbuk said:
I'm not familiar with the term "cosmic velocity" in this context, are you referring to the orbital escape velocity for an Earth satellite in the Earth+Sun gravity field?

I refer to the minimum launch velocity required for a trajectory into the sun

etotheipi said:
##r## is defined as the distance between the satellite and the centre of the Earth, so it is not an assumption.
Well yes, but this is no longer the orbital radius for ## v_e^2 = \frac{2\mu}{r} ##

pbuk said:
## v_e^2 = \frac{2\mu}{r} ##

That relation is also exact by definition, it is the escape velocity

etotheipi said:
That relation is also exact by definition, it is the escape velocity
It's not defined, it's derived. And I think you'll find that you have to neglect some terms ## O(\frac{m}{m_E}) ## along the way.

Oh OK, I was considering barycentric coordinates so you have to take the Earth's PE into account.

I think we are looking at the same thing from different angles: you are saying
etotheipi said:
Surely the error in the first approach is that it fails to take into account the change in the velocity of the Earth when nullifying the heliocentric velocity?
and I am saying
etotheipi said:
Surely the error in the first approach is that it fails to take into account the change in the position of the Earth/object barycentre when moving the object to infinity.
Does it make a difference how you look at it, the first approach ignores some terms ## O(\frac{m}{m_E}) ## so why are you surprised that your more accurate calculation includes such a term?

Or am I missing something subtle?

pbuk said:
Oh OK, I was considering barycentric coordinates so you have to take the Earth's PE into account.

I will note that potential energy is a property of a system of particles, not a single body, and that it is classically a coordinate independent quantity, but I trust you are aware of this in which case...

pbuk said:
Or am I missing something subtle?

no, that should be all. I just look for confirmation that the formula ##v_e^2 + v_{\infty}^2 = v^2## that is often quoted in orbital mechanics texts is an approximation.

Likes pbuk
etotheipi said:
I will note that potential energy is a property of a system of particles, not a single body, and that it is classically a coordinate independent quantity,
Yes, exactly that - and we neglect this when we derive the simple escape velocity equation because we only look at part of the system.

etotheipi said:
no, that should be all. I just look for confirmation that the formula ##v_e^2 + v_{\infty}^2 = v^2## that is often quoted in orbital mechanics texts is an approximation.
Sure is, as a result of that neglect.

I am not a fan of quoting from Wikipedia but it's the only thing I can find and I'm not going to do the calcs myself: "For a mass equal to a Saturn V rocket, the escape velocity relative to the launch pad is 253.5 am/s (8 nanometers per year) faster than the escape velocity relative to the mutual center of mass".

Who knew? :))

Likes etotheipi
Yes you are correct the formula is not exact, I try just now to transform into the frame of the heavy object and write the equations of motion of the motion in reverse$$-\frac{G(m_1 + m_2)}{r^2} = -\frac{\mu}{r^2} = \ddot{r} = v_r \frac{dv_r}{dr}$$with ##\mu = G(m_1 + m_2)##, for brevity, then$$-\int \frac{\mu}{r^2} dr = \int v_r dv_r \implies \frac{\mu}{r} = \frac{1}{2}v_r^2 + 0$$ $$v_r ^2= \frac{2\mu}{r} = \frac{2G(m_1 + m_2)}{r} \approx \frac{2Gm_1}{r} \quad \text{if}\quad m_1 \gg m_2$$If we do the analysis in the non-inertial Earth frame then a fictitious force also acts on the body ##m_2## whilst it escapes, doing negative work, so the initial ##v_r## must be larger. If we do the analysis in the inertial space frame, where the Earth is free to move, then the smaller mass does positive work on the Earth (which starts from rest) and accounting for final kinetic energy of the Earth makes ##v_r## larger.

Thank you for your help ☺

Likes pbuk
If you get stumped by the maths you could always try this:

• Informative
Likes david2 and etotheipi
PeroK said:
If you get stumped by the maths you could always try this:

And if that fails, I think we could all learn a thing or two from famous astrophysicist Ali G,
Ali G, to Buzz Aldrin: “When is man going to walk on da sun?”
Buzz Aldrin: “It’s much too hot on the sun.”
Ali G: “We could go in da winter, when it’s colder.”

Likes PeroK

1. How do different frames of reference affect the calculation of cosmic velocities?

Different frames of reference can affect the calculation of cosmic velocities by changing the measured speed and direction of an object. This is due to the fact that different frames of reference have different points of observation and relative motion, which can alter the perceived velocity of an object.

2. What is the importance of considering different frames of reference when calculating cosmic velocities?

Considering different frames of reference is important in order to accurately measure and understand the motion of objects in the universe. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how objects are moving and their relative speeds, which can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of the universe.

3. Can the use of different frames of reference affect the accuracy of calculated cosmic velocities?

Yes, the use of different frames of reference can affect the accuracy of calculated cosmic velocities. This is because the choice of frame of reference can introduce errors or biases in the measurement, leading to inaccuracies in the calculated velocity. It is important to carefully consider and account for these potential sources of error.

4. Are there any specific methods or equations used to calculate cosmic velocities using different frames of reference?

There are various methods and equations that can be used to calculate cosmic velocities using different frames of reference. Some commonly used approaches include the Doppler effect, which measures the change in frequency of light or other electromagnetic waves, and the use of special relativity equations to account for the effects of relative motion on measurements.

5. How can the effects of different frames of reference be accounted for in the calculation of cosmic velocities?

The effects of different frames of reference can be accounted for by carefully selecting an appropriate frame of reference and using appropriate equations and methods to calculate velocities. It is also important to consider and correct for any potential sources of error, such as gravitational lensing or the observer's own motion, in order to obtain more accurate results.