Calculating Critical Angles for Sliding Blocks on Ramps

• Thread starter cellfoneguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, The block will move with uniform velocity, provided the gravity vector along the ramp exceeds the friction force.
cellfoneguy

Homework Statement

No specific question.
How would one find the critical angle of a ramp given the mass of the block sliding down it and the mu between ramp and block?
It's not a single question but something my teacher explained that i didn't understand.

Homework Equations

F=(mu)mg
F=ma
I'm not sure of any more

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't get how to calculate the critical angle.
Is there a formula or a way to derive some equations?
What i know is i have to get the gravity vector that points down the ramp to exceed friction.
But how would i set up that equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The critical angle is that angle at which component of g along the inclined plane is equal to the acceleration due to frictional force.
Can you write the expression for frictional force?

Wouldn't the vector of gravity along the ramp have to exceed the friction for it to move? If it were equal, then the block would be stationary, right?
Frictionforce=(mu)mg
Frictionforce=(mu)normalforce
Also thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know what a Free Body Diagram is? Split up the components of the objects weight and set them equal to the opposite forces. Remember that cosine is horizontal while sine is vertical.

cellfoneguy said:
Wouldn't the vector of gravity along the ramp have to exceed the friction for it to move? If it were equal, then the block would be stationary, right?
Frictionforce=(mu)mg
Frictionforce=(mu)normalforce
Also thanks for the quick reply.

The block will move with uniform velocity.
Now what is the expression for the normal force?
The component of g along the inclined plane is g*sin(θ) where θ is the critical angle of the inclined plane with the horizontal.

Now I'm confused.
The normal force is pointing perpendicular to the ramp, right?
Why would i need that?
And for the g vector along the ramp, i need to find the critical angle, so how could i use it in an equation, unless i can cancel it somehow?

If you resolve g into two components, g*sinθ is along the inclined plane and g*cosθ is perpendicular to the ramp, which is thew normal force.
At critical angle g*sinθ = μ*g*cosθ.

Hmm, ok.
However, for now i only have 2 of those 3 variables, g, and mu.
If i wanted to get theta equals something, what i got from deriving is
sin(theta)/cos(theta)=mu.
So now what do i do?
I have sin and cos on one side, so would i take cos^-1(mu)/sin^-1 ?
Or what...
Also, how would the mass come into play?

Sorry, i researched a little and found that sin/cos =tan.
I got it now, thanks so much rl.bhat!
again.

Related to Calculating Critical Angles for Sliding Blocks on Ramps

1. What is a critical angle?

A critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light or other electromagnetic radiation is totally reflected by a boundary between two different materials. This means that no light will pass through the boundary and instead is reflected back into the original material.

2. How is the critical angle calculated?

The critical angle can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two materials. The critical angle is the angle of incidence where the angle of refraction is 90 degrees.

3. What factors affect the critical angle?

The critical angle is affected by the indices of refraction of the two materials, as well as the wavelength of the incident light. It also varies for different materials, with denser materials having a smaller critical angle. Additionally, the surface roughness of the boundary can also affect the critical angle.

4. Why is the critical angle important?

The critical angle is important in understanding how light behaves at boundaries between different materials. It is also used in various optical applications, such as in fiber optics and total internal reflection microscopy. In addition, it can be used to determine the refractive index of a material.

5. How can the critical angle be used in everyday life?

The critical angle has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of optical instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in fiber optics communication systems, where light is transmitted through thin fibers by constantly reflecting off the boundaries at critical angles. Additionally, the critical angle is used in the manufacturing of anti-reflective coatings for lenses and windows.