Calculating Current in a Suspended Copper Wire System

In summary, the question given involves finding the current through a copper wire suspended in air due to two magnetic forces from bottom wires. The current flowing through the bottom wires is 87A each. The solution involves finding the mass per unit length of the suspended wire and using the fact that the sum of vertical forces is zero. By plugging in the appropriate values into the formula F/L = I1 I2 U0 /2pi*r, the current through the copper wire on top can be found. The final answer is 100A, but the exact calculations are not provided.
jvdamdshdt

Homework Statement

In the figure (Figure 1) the top wire is 1.1−mm -diameter copper wire and is suspended in air due to the two magnetic forces from the bottom two wires. The current flow through the two bottom wires is 87A in each.

Find the Current through the Copper wire.

GIANCOLI.ch20.p45,46and74.jpg

Homework Equations

F/L = I1 I2 U0 /2pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

The furthest I've got was to resolve the force on M
2FCos30

F/1 = 2(87^2 * 4pi * 10^-7 / 2*pi*0.038) Cos 30

I don't know where to go with this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you supposed to find?
Anyway:
Calculate the mass per length of the suspended wire, and use the fact that the sum of vertical forces is zero as its in equilibrium.

Likes 1 person
Enigman said:
What are you supposed to find?
Anyway:
Calculate the mass per length of the suspended wire, and use the fact that the sum of vertical forces is zero as its in equilibrium.

I am suppose to find the current through the copper wire on top. I tired finding the force and then rearranged the F= BIL formula to find the current.

mass per unit length would be
rho * g * volume?

Last edited:
jvdamdshdt said:
I am suppose to find the current through the copper wire on top. I tired finding the force and then rearranged the F= BIL formula to find the current.
OKay, so current it is, jvdamdshdt!
:biggrin:(complicated name...)
There's a current flowing through M and we don't know what that is. What we do know is its suspended in the air, not going up nor down that is force by wires counteract gravity.
jvdamdshdt said:
mass per unit length would be
rho * g * volume?
Nooooooooo...
You have got the radius and mass per unit length is just mass of wire of 1m length.
You can look up the density of copper and you are ready to go.
:thumbs:

Enigman said:
OKay, so current it is, jvdamdshdt!
:biggrin:(complicated name...)
There's a current flowing through M and we don't know what that is. What we do know is its suspended in the air, not going up nor down that is force by wires counteract gravity.

Nooooooooo...
You have got the radius and mass per unit length is just mass of wire of 1m length.
You can look up the density of copper and you are ready to go.
:thumbs:

I having trouble understanding. From the Force I calculated 2FCos30, the gravity counteract the force pushing up. Are you saying I need to find the mass and divide that by the length?

Yes, and then find the force per unit length by gravity.
(Note: For mass per unit length you can also take length as 1m you will get the same numerical value.
Or more rigorously, you could use M=ρV where V is volume of a cylinder and find M/L ie. mass per unit length)
After that use the fact that sum of forces in vertical direction is zero and hence so too the force per unit length.
:wink:

Likes 1 person
Okay I have M/L = 8940 (rho) * pie * 0.0011^2 = 0.033 kg/m, using this is can find mg/L right?

(F/L) * (2pi *r) / (Unot * I1) = I2

0.33 F/L * (2pi * 0.038m) / (4pi x 10^-7 * 87A) = 727
This is what I did but my answer is 727 A which doesn't seem reasonable.

$$0= I_1 I_2 u_o cos\theta/\pi r-mg/L$$
(Try learning ##\LaTeX##)

Last edited:
I couldn't get it but thanks for your help. The answer was 100A and I have no idea where I am plugging the numbers wrong.

Related to Calculating Current in a Suspended Copper Wire System

1. What are the three wires in an electrical circuit?

The three wires in an electrical circuit are the live wire, the neutral wire, and the ground wire. The live wire carries the current from the source, the neutral wire completes the circuit, and the ground wire provides a path for excess electricity to flow safely to the ground.

2. How do you determine the direction of current flow in a three-wire circuit?

The direction of current flow in a three-wire circuit is determined by the direction of the electric potential difference. The current flows from the higher potential to the lower potential, which is typically from the positive terminal of the source to the negative terminal.

3. What is the purpose of the ground wire in a three-wire circuit?

The ground wire in a three-wire circuit serves as a safety measure. It provides a low resistance path for excess electricity to flow to the ground, preventing potential hazards such as electric shocks and fires.

4. How does the neutral wire differ from the live wire in a three-wire circuit?

The neutral wire and the live wire have different functions in a three-wire circuit. The neutral wire is responsible for completing the circuit and carrying the same amount of current as the live wire, while the live wire carries the current from the source. The neutral wire is also connected to the ground at the main electrical panel.

5. Can three-wire circuits be used in both residential and commercial buildings?

Yes, three-wire circuits can be used in both residential and commercial buildings. In fact, most modern buildings use three-wire circuits as they are more efficient and safer than two-wire circuits. The use of ground wires in three-wire circuits greatly reduces the risk of electrical hazards and can handle higher loads compared to two-wire circuits.