Calculating D-Spacings in a Monoclinic Cell

• I
  • Thread starter tappy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, the (100) plane spacing is not equal to the lattice parameter for monoclinic crystals, but the (010) & (001) planes are equal to their respective lattice parameter.
tappy
TL;DR Summary
Monoclinc primitive crystal, why is (100) d-spacing not equal to lattice cell dimension a.
Why is it that the d-spacing of the (100) plane is not equal to the lattice cell dimension a.
I can calculate the (010) and (001) d-spacings and they are equal to b & c lattic cell dimensions which is what I expected.

Small bit of background.
My task was to write a small program that calculates the d-spacing for whatever plane the user inputs.
The user inputs the a,b,c & alpha, beta, gamma parameters and use an equation to calculate d-spacings for each of the planes.
The Monoclinc cell has dimensions a=0.52, b=0.54, c=56, alpha=gamma=90deg, beta = 99.18deg.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
d-spacing formula of orthogonal crystals
[tex]\frac{1}{d_{hkl}^2 }=\frac{h^2}{a^2}+\frac{k^2}{b^2}+\frac{l^2}{c^2}[/tex]
tells (100) d-spacing is a.

Maybe I do not get your situation correctly.

tappy said:
Summary:: Monoclinc primitive crystal, why is (100) d-spacing not equal to lattice cell dimension a.

...use an equation to calculate d-spacings for each of the planes.

Have a look at the ##1/d^2## equation for the monoclinic crystal system:
http://pd.chem.ucl.ac.uk/pdnn/unit1/unintro.htm

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thanks for your input. Indeed I used the calculation that you link to http://pd.chem.ucl.ac.uk/pdnn/unit1/unintro.htm
in my program.

I also checked my results with an online calculator at this link https://neutron.ornl.gov/user_data/hb3a/exp16/tools/Crystal%20Plane%20Spacings%20and%20Interplanar%20Angles.htm
so I am confident that the formula's and calculations are correct.

----
I still can't give an explanation in my own words for a reason that the (100) d-spacing is not equal to the lattice parameter for monoclinic whereas the (010) & (001) are equal to their respective lattic parameter.

I compare it to the case of the cubic crystal where it is easy to visualize that the (100) d-spacing is equal to the lattice parameter. However I don't see why this is different for the monoclinic crystal.

Thank you for your input.

The planes defined by the Miller indices are not normal to the crystal axes ##\vec{a}##, ##\vec{b}##, and ##\vec{c}##. Instead, e.g. the plane defined by (100) is parallel to the plane defined by ##\vec{b}## and ##\vec{c}##. This is because the "0" is the inverse of ##\infty##; it means that the plane you're defining never intersects that axis. So the "d" spacing can be less than the vector length.

In the monoclinic lattice, there are two axes with some angle between them and then the third axis is normal to both of those. So only in the case of the third axis will you get that the d spacing is equal to the crystal axis length. In the other two cases, the d spacing will be slightly less. I've illustrated why it's less in a 2D diagram because I couldn't think of a succinct way to write it.

bitmap.png

Likes jim mcnamara and Lord Jestocost

1. How do I calculate the D-Spacing in a Monoclinic Cell?

To calculate the D-Spacing in a Monoclinic Cell, you will need to use the following formula: D = λ / (2sinθ), where λ is the wavelength of the X-ray used and θ is the angle of diffraction. You will also need to know the lattice parameters of the Monoclinic Cell, which can be found using X-ray diffraction data.

2. What is the significance of calculating D-Spacings in a Monoclinic Cell?

Calculating D-Spacings in a Monoclinic Cell is important in determining the crystal structure and properties of a material. It can also help in identifying the type of crystal lattice and the orientation of the crystal planes.

3. Can D-Spacings be calculated for all types of crystals?

Yes, D-Spacings can be calculated for all types of crystals, including Monoclinic Cells. However, the formula and parameters used may vary depending on the crystal system and lattice type.

4. How do I determine the lattice parameters for a Monoclinic Cell?

The lattice parameters for a Monoclinic Cell can be determined using X-ray diffraction data. The diffraction pattern will show distinct peaks that correspond to the crystal lattice, and by analyzing the peak positions and intensities, the lattice parameters can be calculated.

5. Are there any software programs available for calculating D-Spacings in a Monoclinic Cell?

Yes, there are several software programs available for calculating D-Spacings in a Monoclinic Cell, such as Materials Studio, CrystalMaker, and VESTA. These programs use advanced algorithms and databases to accurately calculate D-Spacings and other crystallographic parameters.