Calculating Dimensions of Titanium Disk Under Load

In summary, Les'e found that the dimensions of the cover plate are 7.998 mm in diameter and 7.999 mm in thickness.
WhiteWolf98

Homework Statement

A titanium disk (with ##E=107 ~GPa##, Poisson's ratio, ##v=0.34##) precisely ##l_0=8~mm## thick by ##d_0=30~mm## diameter is used as a cover plate in a mechanical loading device. If a ##P=20~kN## load is applied to the disk, calculate the resulting dimensions, ##l_{01}## and ##d_{01}##.

Homework Equations

##v=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{trans}} {d\varepsilon_{axial}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{y}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{z}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}##

##\sigma=\frac F A##

##\sigma=E\cdot \varepsilon##

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go working through the problem, but my final depth came out as ##7.999~mm## which seems really wrong. I'm confused which axis is which, or even which axis is being used. Which is trans and which is axial? Or is it ##z## and ##x## we're dealing with here?

Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteWolf98 said:

Homework Statement

A titanium disk (with ##E=107 ~GPa##, Poisson's ratio, ##v=0.34##) precisely ##l_0=8~mm## thick by ##d_0=30~mm## diameter is used as a cover plate in a mechanical loading device. If a ##P=20~kN## load is applied to the disk, calculate the resulting dimensions, ##l_{01}## and ##d_{01}##.

Homework Equations

##v=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{trans}} {d\varepsilon_{axial}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{y}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}=- \frac {d\varepsilon_{z}} {d\varepsilon_{x}}##

##\sigma=\frac F A##

##\sigma=E\cdot \varepsilon##

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a go working through the problem, but my final depth came out as ##7.999~mm## which seems really wrong. I'm confused which axis is which, or even which axis is being used. Which is trans and which is axial? Or is it ##z## and ##x## we're dealing with here?
Les’s see your work. I get 7.998 mm.

Likes WhiteWolf98
Chestermiller said:
Les’s see your work. I get 7.998 mm.

##\sigma = \frac F A = \frac {20×10^3} {\pi (15×10^{-3})^2} = 28.3×10^6 ~ Nm^{-2}##

##\sigma = E \cdot \varepsilon##

##\varepsilon = \frac \sigma E = \frac {28.3×10^6} {107×10^9}=2.64×10^{-4} ##

## v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}=0.34 → \varepsilon_{lat}=-(0.34)(2.64×10^{-4})=-8.99×10^{-5}##

##\varepsilon_{lat}=\frac {\Delta D} {D_0}##

##{\Delta D}=(-8.99×10^{-5})(8~mm)=-7.19×10^{-4}~mm##

##Hence ~D_f = 7.999 ~mm##

Truth be told, I watched someone do a similar problem, though it was with a cylinder for them. I just did the exact same as them, but used my numbers instead. I don't know why these equations are used or how to find the new length. If I was asked to do this again in an exam, I could probably do it, but I want to understand why

The way I interpreted this problem was that the load was compressional, and in the 8 mm thickness direction of the disk. So the strain in the 8 mm dimension was -0.000264, and the strain in the diameter direction was +0.0000899.

Likes WhiteWolf98
The main thing I don't understand is the formula: ##v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}##. How does one know which is latitudinal and longitudinal? Apologies if it sounds like a silly question. I don't know how to apply the formula

WhiteWolf98 said:
The main thing I don't understand is the formula: ##v=- \frac {\varepsilon_{lat}} {\varepsilon_{long}}##. How does one know which is latitudinal and longitudinal? Apologies if it sounds like a silly question. I don't know how to apply the formula
Longitudinal means in the direction of the applied stress. "Along the force".

Likes WhiteWolf98 and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
Longitudinal means in the direction of the applied stress. "Along the force".

I see! That clears things up, thank you! And Chestermiller too lol

1. What is the formula for calculating the dimensions of a titanium disk under load?

The formula for calculating the dimensions of a titanium disk under load is: Diameter = 2 x (Load / (π x Stress x Maximum Deflection))^1/3

2. How is stress determined in this calculation?

The stress in the titanium disk can be determined by dividing the load by the cross-sectional area of the disk. This will give the stress in units of force per unit area (such as N/m^2 or Pa).

3. Can this formula be used for any shape of titanium disk?

Yes, this formula can be used for any shape of titanium disk as long as the appropriate values for load, stress, and maximum deflection are used.

4. What is the significance of calculating the dimensions of a titanium disk under load?

Calculating the dimensions of a titanium disk under load is important for understanding how the disk will deform and behave under certain forces. This information can be useful in designing and engineering structures that incorporate titanium disks.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation?

There are some limitations to this calculation, such as assuming the disk is under uniform load and that the material properties of the titanium disk are consistent. Additionally, this formula does not take into account any external factors that may affect the behavior of the disk, such as temperature or corrosion.