Stress in a plate under tensile load

In summary: Malhotra is asking for help understanding how to approach a problem involving an isotropic aluminum plate with an additional plate glued in the center and loaded in the y-direction with a normal force of 10000 N. He has three potential ideas for solving the problem: using laminate theory, dividing the plate into three parts and analyzing each separately, or considering the entire system as one part. He apologizes for his English and asks for advice on which approach is best.
jcabaret
Hello everyone !

Homework Statement

In an isotropic aluminum plate (L = 200 mm, b = 50 mm, t = 1 mm), an additionally aluminum plate (l = 50mm, b = 50mm, tV = 0.5 mm) is glued in the center area. The plate is loaded in the y-direction with a normal force of Ny = 10000 N.

Calculate the stress "sigmayy" (in y direction) in the small plate, and give the result in funktion of z.

Big Aluminium plate : L=200 mm, b=50 mm, t=1 mm
Small Aluminium plate : l=50mm, b=50mm, tV=0,5 mm
Load : Ny = 10000 N
E = 70000 N=mm2
V (Poisson's ratio)= 0:34

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start.

I have three ideas, but I don't know if it is good or not.

- The first is to use the laminate theory. But as the material is the same for both plate, and the geometry is not the same for both plate, I don't know how to write it.

-The second is that the plate should be divided into 3 parts cut along the X axis :1 without the additional plate, 1 with the additional plate, and 1 without the additional plate. We can this way study the three parts, and then put together the result.

-The third is to consider a whole system with only one part of one material under load Ny, with the geometry presented in the übung. In view of the geometry, it might be very difficult to write.

What do you think ?

Thanks a lot !

Bye (and sorry for my english, I'm french..)

Attachments

• Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like there is information missing from this problem statement, like the applied load distribution and the method of support for the plate.

Chet

1. What is stress in a plate under tensile load?

Stress in a plate under tensile load refers to the force per unit area that is applied to a material when it is being pulled or stretched. This type of stress occurs when a plate is subjected to forces that try to elongate or stretch it.

2. How is stress in a plate under tensile load calculated?

To calculate stress in a plate under tensile load, the applied force is divided by the cross-sectional area of the plate. This gives the stress value in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch or newtons per square meter.

3. What factors affect stress in a plate under tensile load?

The amount of stress in a plate under tensile load is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the size and shape of the plate, and the material properties of the plate, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength.

4. How does stress in a plate under tensile load impact the material?

High levels of stress in a plate under tensile load can cause the material to elongate and potentially reach its breaking point if the stress exceeds the material's yield strength. This can result in permanent deformations, cracks, or even failure of the material.

5. How can stress in a plate under tensile load be reduced?

To reduce stress in a plate under tensile load, the applied force can be decreased, the size and shape of the plate can be optimized, or a different material with higher strength properties can be used. Proper design and engineering techniques can also be employed to distribute the stress more evenly across the plate.