Calculating Double Act Pneumatic Cylinder to Lift 200 Lbs.

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for a pneumatic cylinder needed to lift 200 lbs with a 10 bar air compressor. It is suggested to calculate the force and pressure to determine the necessary cylinder size, with a piston diameter of 1.5 inches being recommended for a factor of safety. The stroke of the cylinder will depend on the desired lift height. The conversation also mentions a project idea for an air compressed vehicle, with the area of the piston being a key factor in determining the cylinder size.
IrvinShepherd
Hi :)

What size of double act pneumatic cylinder I need to lift 200 Lbs. of weight, if I have got 10 bars air compressor!

All I need for a short stroke 1-3" maximum!

Any special formula or calculations for that!

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Force = Pressure X Area

Now I am in final year of engineering. I wanted to do a project on air compressed vehicle ( want to run the vehicle using pneumatic energy ). Any suggestions would be more helpful to me. Advance thanks to whom are ready to share their views :)

Find out the area of piston to decide the cylinder size..
Area = Force / Pressure = 200/ 145 = 1.379 sq. inch

You need a pneumatic cylinder with a piston dia of 1.5 inch considering the FOS.

Your stroke depends on the height you want to lift your mass.

Hope it will help

To calculate the size of double act pneumatic cylinder needed to lift 200 Lbs. using a 10 bars air compressor, you will first need to determine the required force (F) to lift the weight. This can be calculated using the formula F = m x g, where m is the mass of the weight (200 Lbs.) and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2). This gives a required force of approximately 1960 N.

Next, you will need to determine the working pressure (P) of the air compressor. This can be done by converting the 10 bars of pressure to Pascals (Pa), which is the standard unit for pressure. This gives a working pressure of 1,000,000 Pa.

To calculate the required area (A) of the pneumatic cylinder, you can use the formula A = F/P. This gives an area of 0.00196 m^2.

Lastly, you will need to determine the diameter (D) of the pneumatic cylinder. This can be done using the formula D = √(4A/π). This gives a diameter of approximately 0.05 m or 50 mm.

It is important to note that these calculations are based on ideal conditions and may not account for factors such as friction and air leakage. It is always recommended to consult with a pneumatic expert or use a pneumatic cylinder sizing calculator to ensure the most accurate results. Additionally, the stroke length of 1-3 inches may need to be adjusted depending on the specific application and lifting requirements.

Related to Calculating Double Act Pneumatic Cylinder to Lift 200 Lbs.

1. How does a double act pneumatic cylinder work?

A double act pneumatic cylinder works by using compressed air to create a force that moves a piston within the cylinder. This movement can be used to lift, push, or pull objects depending on the design of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force of a double act pneumatic cylinder?

The formula for calculating the force of a double act pneumatic cylinder is Force = Pressure x Area. Pressure is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) and area is measured in square inches (in^2).

3. How do I determine the required pressure for a double act pneumatic cylinder to lift 200 lbs?

To determine the required pressure for a double act pneumatic cylinder to lift 200 lbs, you will need to know the area of the piston in square inches. Then, divide 200 lbs by the area to get the required pressure in psi.

4. Can a single double act pneumatic cylinder lift 200 lbs?

It depends on the specific design and capabilities of the cylinder. Some double act pneumatic cylinders may be able to lift 200 lbs on their own, while others may require multiple cylinders or additional support.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a double act pneumatic cylinder to lift objects?

Yes, it is important to carefully follow all safety guidelines and precautions when using a double act pneumatic cylinder. This may include proper training, regular maintenance, and checking for any potential hazards before operation.