Hydraulic Liftgate: Find Optimal Cylinder for 90° Rotation

• Thread starter kore52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydraulic
In summary, the conversation is about installing a hydraulic system for a liftgate conveyor. The conveyor is 10" long and 3' wide, but the liftgate portion is only 7' long and weighs 500lbs. The main question is what type of hydraulic cylinders are needed to rotate and lift the 7' section 90 degrees, with a proposed solution being a 2 stage, 3hp 1500-3000psi setup. The position of the hinge pins and cylinder ends will be critical, and the cylinders must be able to rotate slightly during operation. It is mentioned that a pump has not yet been chosen, but it can be provided if needed. The hinges are located on the side of the frame,
kore52
TL;DR Summary
hydraulic requirements for liftgate actuators/cylinders
Hello everyone and thanks for any and all feedback!
I am looking for help with a hydraulic system for a liftgate conveyor I will be installing for a customer. The conveyor is 10" in length and 3' wide but the liftgate portion is only 7' long. The approx. weight of the 7' section 500lbs. My questions is what hydraulic cylinders would i need to rotate/lift the 7' section 90 degrees?

1635784203715.jpeg

Attachments

• liftgate.png
    liftgate.png
    7 KB · Views: 97
Engineering news on Phys.org
What hydraulic pressure will always be available.
The position of the pins at the hinges and cylinder ends will be critical.
The cylinder must be free to rotate slightly during operation.

Im thinking a 2 stage, 3hp 1500-3000psi set up

kore52 said:
Im thinking a 2 stage, 3hp 1500-3000psi set up
So you always have 3000 psi available ?

Where is the hinge pin relative to the frame and moving belt ?

Baluncore said:
So you always have 3000 psi available ?

Where is the hinge pin relative to the frame and moving belt ?
I don’t have a pump picked yet but I can have whatever is needed. The hinges are in the side of the frame and I will mount the cylinder/s below and inside the frame rails of the conveyor

kore52 said:
My questions is what hydraulic cylinders would i need to rotate/lift the 7' section 90 degrees?
You must first specify the position of the hinge pin and the cylinder end pins.
Only then can you size the cylinder.

1. What is a hydraulic liftgate?

A hydraulic liftgate is a type of mechanical device that uses hydraulic power to raise and lower heavy objects, such as the rear door of a truck or van.

2. How does a hydraulic liftgate work?

A hydraulic liftgate works by using a hydraulic cylinder to push or pull a platform, which can then be used to raise or lower heavy objects. The hydraulic cylinder is filled with fluid, which is pressurized by a pump to create the force needed to move the platform.

3. What is the optimal cylinder for 90° rotation?

The optimal cylinder for 90° rotation would depend on the weight and size of the object being lifted, as well as the specific design and mechanics of the liftgate. It is important to consult with a hydraulic engineer or manufacturer to determine the best cylinder for a specific liftgate.

4. What are the benefits of using a hydraulic liftgate?

Some benefits of using a hydraulic liftgate include increased efficiency and safety, as well as the ability to lift heavier objects than with manual methods. Hydraulic liftgates also require less physical effort and can be operated with a remote control.

5. How do I maintain a hydraulic liftgate?

To maintain a hydraulic liftgate, it is important to regularly check and replace the hydraulic fluid, as well as inspect and clean the hydraulic cylinder and other components. It is also recommended to have a professional service and inspect the liftgate at least once a year.