Understanding pneumatic springs

In summary: Friction in the system will cause the displacement to decrease over time, and can cause the spring to wear out prematurely. You can minimize friction by using a high quality valve, using a low air pressure, or by using a relatively short stroke. Assuming that you have a known static force and spring constant, you can solve for the position of the cylinder by using the following equation:Lcomp = Stroke*Pext/PcompIn summary, if you have a known static force and spring constant, you can solve for the position of the cylinder by using the following equation:
mishaparem
Hello all,

I'm working on a DIY project, I know I need to use pneumatic springs because it allows me to be flexible with the spring rates, but I forgot quite a bit about compressible air, and from what I remember, in my courses we mostly dealt with compressible air for aerodynamics, and skipped over pneumatic springs (maybe in a different major, we would have gone over this stuff)

Can someone give me a quick run down, or suggest some reading? I'm having a difficult time finding info in Google.

Part of my question is how to determine what geometry of pneumatic springs I need. For instance - I have a physical limitation of a 0.5m stroke, but what diameter bore? Obviously a 0.016m diameter will spring less than a 0.1m diameter at the same maximum pressure of the cylinder, that's intuitive for me, but how do I calculate how much exactly the spring will... well... spring?

Thanks!

Misha

Engineering news on Phys.org
An air spring will spring as much as you design it to spring. Start with the following search terms:
Ideal gas law.
Isothermal compressibility.
Adiabatic compressibility.
Air cylinders. When you look up air cylinders, note the allowable working pressures.

Have fun.

Sweet, thank you! I started remembering bits and pieces of the Ideal gas law after I posted yesterday. Here's where I'm at right now, posting for proof reading, and for anyone else who goes looking for how to determine the ballpark specs of pneumatic springs that they need for their project:

P1*V1 = P2*V2
F1*A1 = F2*A2
P=F/A

Solving for force exerted by the rod (with the cylinder being fixed at the other end)
Frod(x) = Prod(x)/Arod
Prod(x) = Pcyl(x)*Arod/Acyl
Pcyl(x) = Pcomp*Vcomp/V(x)
Vcomp = (pi/4)*d2*Lcomp
Vext*Pext = Pcomp*Vcomp
Lcomp = Lext*Pext/Pcomp
Lcomp = Stroke*Pext/Pcomp

Substituting
Pcyl(x) = Pcomp*(pi/4)d2*Lcomp/((pi/4)d2*x)
Pcyl(x) = Pcomp*Lcomp/x
Prod(x) = Pcomp*Lcomp*Arod/(x*Acyl)
Frod(x) = Pcomp*Lcomp/((pi/4)x*dcyl2)

Frod(x) = Pcomp*Lcomp/(x*Acyl) , Lcomp < x < Stroke

Which should help me ballpark the specs for the pneumatic spring I need to order based on:
Pcomp is the maximum pressure of the cylinder
dcyl is the diameter of the cylinder
Lcomp is the position of the pistol at Pcomp
Lcomp = Stroke*Pext/Pcomp, where:
Stroke is the stroke of the spring

Also, without a separate reservoir, the effective stroke (how much it can actually compress without failing) of the spring is:
StrokeEffective = Stroke-Lcomp
StrokeEffective = Stroke*(1-Pext/Pcomp)
If the spring compresses any further, the cylinder or seals may fail from excessive pressure

With a reservoir, StrokeEffective = Stroke, and Lcomp is the length of the reservoir (same diameter as the cylinder) A reservoir of a different diameter, but same volume may be used:
Vres = Vcomp
Lres*(pi/4)*dres2 = Lcomp*(pi/4)*dcomp2

Does that sound about right so far?

Last edited:
The crowd here at PF likes to derive a general equation, then solve it for specific cases. Air cylinders, however, are only available in discrete diameters. Because of that, a design table is the approach that I use to solve this type of problem. You have three things to deal with, and they are not independent. First, the static force exerted by the cylinder. Second, the spring constant of the cylinder. Third, the position of the cylinder (because it affects the spring constant).

The static force is easy. Force = pressure times net piston area. You already know what static force you want, just make a list of air cylinder bore diameters and the required air pressure.

The spring constant is the change in force from a small displacement divided by the displacement. This is where it gets interesting. For a slow displacement, the compression is isothermal and the volume of air that is compressed is the volume trapped between the piston and the valve/regulator/whatever is controlling the air pressure. For a fast displacement, the compression is adiabatic and the volume of air that is compressed is the volume between the piston and the nearest restriction. Note that there is a dead volume of compressed air with the cylinder bottomed out. You may need to consider the effect of air expansion on the opposite side of the piston in addition to the effect of air compression on the first side of the piston. Do this for each cylinder diameter. And for at least three piston positions - each end of stroke and middle of stroke. The spring constant will vary with the piston position in the cylinder.

Another variable is air pressure. You can pressurize both sides of the piston to increase the spring constant without changing the static force.

If you have a "large" reservoir, your spring constant will approach zero. This is a good data point for a sanity check of your calculations. If you calculate the case of zero dead volume and piston almost bottomed out, the spring constant should get very large. The other good point for a sanity check.

Normal air cylinders have friction that may need to be considered. That friction is variable (lesson learned the hard way).

Ugh, I've just realized how much I've forgotten about math and physics, working dead end jobs in the office :sorry::frown:

1. What are pneumatic springs?

Pneumatic springs, also known as air springs, are mechanical devices that use compressed air to store and release energy. They consist of a flexible and airtight container, usually made of rubber or reinforced fabric, filled with compressed air.

2. How do pneumatic springs work?

When a force is applied to a pneumatic spring, the compressed air inside the container is forced to move, absorbing the energy and storing it as potential energy. This allows the spring to support the weight of an object or absorb shock and vibrations.

3. What are the advantages of using pneumatic springs?

Pneumatic springs offer several advantages over traditional mechanical springs, such as smoother and more controlled movement, adjustable spring rate, and the ability to support heavier loads without increasing the size of the spring. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance.

4. What are some common applications of pneumatic springs?

Pneumatic springs are used in a variety of industries and applications, including automotive suspension systems, industrial machinery, furniture, and medical equipment. They are also commonly used in heavy-duty vehicles, such as trucks and buses, to improve ride comfort and stability.

5. What should be considered when designing with pneumatic springs?

When designing with pneumatic springs, factors such as the desired load capacity, spring rate, and compressed air pressure must be taken into account. It is also important to consider the potential for leaks and to ensure that the container and connections are strong enough to withstand the forces exerted on the spring.