Calculating Electric Field on Skin Surface with Decibels - Homework Help

• Thread starter tamtam402
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decibels
In summary, the task is to find the value of E1 given an electric field loss of -486dB/m and E0 = 64.1 on the surface of a person's skin. The ratio E1/E0 = k, with k < 1. The equation for this problem can be written as 10log(E1) = 10log(k) + 10log(E0) or 20log(E1) = 20log(k) + 20log(E0). Both equations give different values for k, but the teacher uses the 20log equation because it corresponds to the ratio of power density loss, which can then be used to find the ratio of P1/P2.
tamtam402

Homework Statement

Let E1 be the electric field 1cm into a person's skin and E0 be the electric field on the surface of that person's skin. If the field loses -486db/m and E0 = 64.1, find the value of E1.

Homework Equations

E1/E0 = k, with k < 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm mostly confused about the use of 20log vs 10log. My solution is:

We have -486dB/m, or -4.86dB/cm.

10log(E1) = 10log(k) + 10log(E0), where 10log(k) must be negative since k < 1.

We know that 10log(k) = -4.68, thus k = 10^(-4.68/10) = 0.3404

However, my teacher wrote the following equation:
20log(E1) = 20log(k) + 20log(E0)

Which gives a different value of k, obviously. I thought decibels were always 10log(ratio), and the only reason why 20log(ratio) sometimes appear is when you have a ratio of squared values, such as 10log(P1/P2) = 10log([V1^2/R]/[V2^2/r]) = 10log(V1^2/V2^2) = 20log(V1/V2) in electronics.

I'd like to know if 10log or 20log should be used in this situation. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
One more thing. Would I be right to assume that using the 20log equations give the ratio k of power density loss that corresponds to the electric field loss? I ask this because the teacher uses his ratio k that he found with the 20log equations, then argues that since P1/P0 = E1^2/E0^2, the ratio of P1/P2 = k^2... I thought that using 20log would already give the "correct k" for the P1/P0 ratio without needing to square it.

You've basically said it yourself:
$$10\ \log\, \left( \frac{P_1}{P_2} \right) = 10\ \log\, \left( \frac{E_1^2}{E_2^2} \right) = 20\ \log\, \left( \frac{E_1}{E_2} \right). $$
You are using field strength in this problem, so ##\ldots##

What are decibels?

Decibels (dB) are a unit of measurement used to express the level of sound or the relative intensity of an electrical signal. It is a logarithmic unit, meaning that each increase of 10 dB represents a tenfold increase in sound or signal intensity.

How are decibels used in sound measurement?

Decibels are used to measure the volume or loudness of sound. A sound with a decibel level of 0 dB is considered to be the threshold of human hearing, while a sound with a decibel level of 120 dB is considered to be the threshold of pain.

Why are decibels used instead of a linear scale?

Decibels are used because they provide a more accurate representation of the range of human hearing. Our ears are better at perceiving differences in sound levels on a logarithmic scale, which is why decibels are more commonly used in sound measurement.

What is the difference between dB and dB(A)?

dB(A) is a weighted decibel scale that takes into account the sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies. This scale is commonly used in measuring noise levels in environmental and industrial settings, as it provides a more accurate representation of the perceived loudness of sound.

Is there a limit to how many decibels a sound can have?

There is no theoretical limit to the decibel level of a sound. However, sounds with a decibel level of 194 dB and above can create shock waves that can be damaging to human hearing and can cause physical damage to objects.