Calculating Electron Flow in a Copper Wire

In summary, an electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in units of amperes (A). In a wire, current flows from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal, as the movement of electrons creates the current. The voltage of the power source, resistance of the wire, and temperature of the wire all affect the current in a wire. Current can only flow through conductors, while insulators do not allow current to flow. Voltage is the potential difference between two points, while current is the actual flow of electric charge.
sdkl84

Homework Statement

An electric current of 6 A flows through a 5 mm diameter copper wire with a length of 10 m.
What is the average number of electrons that flow through a cross section of the wire per second?

Homework Equations

I=Q/t or I=dQ/dt Maybe, I am not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

1 Coulomb = 6.24e18
6*6.24e18
3.744E19 e/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nvm i figured it out thanks anyway!

Weird as the diameter and length are unnecessary. But thumbs up for solving it!

What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A).

How does current flow through a wire?

In a wire, current flows from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal. This movement of electrons creates an electric current.

What factors affect the current in a wire?

The current in a wire is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the wire, and the temperature of the wire.

Can current flow through all materials?

No, current can only flow through materials that allow the movement of electrons, known as conductors. Materials that do not allow current to flow are called insulators.

How is current different from voltage?

Voltage is the potential difference between two points, while current is the flow of electric charge. In other words, voltage is the driving force behind the flow of current.