Calculating Electron Mass from Magnetic Field and Potential Difference

In summary, the conversation is about a Grade 12 Physics question involving magnetic fields and electrons. The individual has been working on the question for half an hour and has derived an equation to solve it. They ask for confirmation on their answer and the conversation ends with the conclusion that the answer is most likely correct.
invinc1ble
I don't know if this is the place to post this, but This is a simple Grade 12 Physics question that I have been working on for about half an hour now.

For those who don't normally use this notation,
2E10 = 2X10^10.
2E-2 = 2X10^-2

"A magnetic field of 3.4E-3T deflects electrons into a circular path of radius .014m. The electorns have been accelerated through a potential differenc eof 250V. If the charge of an electron is 1.6E-19C, what is the mass of the electron?"

I have done it three times, and I keep getting 7.25E-31Kg when in actuality, a real electron is 9.11E-31Kg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really mean 3,400 tesla? I doubt it.

- Warren

sorry.. i'd make that 3.4E-3T
(.0034)

I did this question from a worksheet, and we both got identical answers.

If you have the same answer that my friend and I do, then chances are it is correct.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating Electron Mass from Magnetic Field and Potential Difference

What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

What is a simple physics 12 question?

A simple physics 12 question is a basic question related to the concepts and principles of physics that is typically covered in a high school physics course.

What topics are typically covered in a physics 12 course?

A physics 12 course typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

What is the difference between physics 11 and physics 12?

Physics 11 is a course that covers the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, while physics 12 builds upon these concepts and delves deeper into more complex topics and theories.

What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in physics?

There are many career opportunities available for someone with a background in physics, including research, engineering, education, and technology. Some specific job titles include physicist, engineer, teacher, and data analyst.