Calculating Elevator Acceleration: Tips for Solving a Motion Problem

• Thread starter mojo2185
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the person is on a bathroom scale in an elevator, which is moving. When the scale reads only 0.75 of their regular weight, Newton's 2nd Law says the acceleration of the elevator will be +/- a_y_j. To find out the direction of the acceleration, you need to do a force analysis and draw a free body diagram.
mojo2185
Here's the problem:
A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only 0.75 of the person's regular weight. Calculate the acceleration of the elevator, and find the direction of acceleration.

I honestly don't know how to get this problem started. I'm assuming gravity has a part to play in this, and based on the "0.75", I'm guessing the elevator is going down. Can anyone offer tips to get this problem rolling?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Do a force analysis using

Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

I'm a little rusty on my physics (i'm actually helping a friend here, its not my problem). Could you please explain a little more what you mean?

One more thing, calculus shouldn't be required for this problem, it just covers Newton's Laws (as you mentioned). I think I'm overlooking something obvious here

Thanks for taking a look, i really appreciate it!

Last edited:
The person will have a movement while in the elevator in the Y-axis. or an acceleration of [tex] \vec{a} = +/- a_{y}j [/tex], depending where its heading. Which you have to find out. Test it on both directions and see which equation is the proper one.

Last edited:
Ok so based on that (and the info i was given)... it looks like the elevator is heading downward, with the person's acceleration increasing in the [tex]- a_{y}j[/tex] direction. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Right track, so far ! But it wouldn't be right to say "acceleration increasing in the..". There is no indication that the acceleration is changing.

But yes, the acceleration is downwards.

Did you draw a free body diagram ? This is the first thing to do. What are the forces on the man ? Relate the net force to the acceleration (see post #2) and you're home !

Thanks for the help, we got it finally!

Related to Calculating Elevator Acceleration: Tips for Solving a Motion Problem

1. How do you calculate elevator acceleration?

To calculate elevator acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time of the elevator's motion. You can use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. What is the initial velocity of an elevator?

The initial velocity of an elevator is the speed at which the elevator begins its motion. This can vary depending on the specific elevator and its starting position. It is usually given in meters per second (m/s).

3. How do you determine the final velocity of an elevator?

The final velocity of an elevator is the speed at which the elevator ends its motion. This can also vary depending on the specific elevator and its destination. It is usually given in meters per second (m/s).

4. What is the role of time in calculating elevator acceleration?

Time is an essential factor in calculating elevator acceleration as it is used in the equation a = (vf - vi) / t. It represents the duration of the elevator's motion and is usually given in seconds (s). Without time, it is impossible to determine the acceleration of the elevator.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect elevator acceleration?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect elevator acceleration, such as the mass of the elevator, the force applied by the elevator's motor, and any friction or resistance in the elevator's movement. These factors may need to be taken into account when solving a motion problem involving elevator acceleration.