Calculating EMF and Internal Resistance: A Practical Guide

In summary, the student is trying to calculate electric field (EMF), internal resistance (r), and short-circuit current (I). They are unsure if the electric field is the same as voltage. They need help from the instructor.
Gustavs1337

Homework Statement

I need to calculate EMF and internal resistance from the given resistance and voltage.
R = 3 ohms
U = 3,6 V
EMF- ?
I0 - ?
r - ?

Homework Equations

I = U/R
EMF = A/q
I = EMF/R+r
I0 = EMF/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 3,6/3 = 1,2 A
I = EMF/R+r
1,2= EMF/3+r
^ I hit a wall there, don't know whether to consider EMF to be the same as Voltage or not. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gustavs1337 said:

Homework Statement

I need to calculate EMF and internal resistance from the given resistance and voltage.
R = 3 ohms
U = 3,6 V
EMF- ?
I0 - ?
r - ?

Homework Equations

I = U/R
EMF = A/q
I = EMF/R+r
I0 = EMF/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 3,6/3 = 1,2 A
I = EMF/R+r
1,2= EMF/3+r
^ I hit a wall there, don't know whether to consider EMF to be the same as Voltage or not. Help please.
Given data is insufficient. Are you sure you posted all the given quantities?

cnh1995 said:
Given data is insufficient. Are you sure you posted all the given quantities?
There is a second measurement which is with a resistance of 5 and a voltage of 3,8. I am not sure if that helps. Also the electric circuit consists of a switch, battery, resistance and an internal voltmeter ( not sure about the internal part but it is on the inside of the circuit and not the outside).

Could you state the exact problem statement?

Circuit consisting of battery, switch, resistance and a voltmeter. We take 2 measurements. One with a resistance of 3 ohms, there's voltage of 3.6 volts. Second with a resistance of 5, there's a voltage of 3.8 volts. Calculate the EMF, internal resistance and short-circuit current(sorry i didnt mention the short circuit current before)

Gustavs1337 said:
Circuit consisting of battery, switch, resistance and a voltmeter. We take 2 measurements. One with a resistance of 3 ohms, there's voltage of 3.6 volts. Second with a resistance of 5, there's a voltage of 3.8 volts. Calculate the EMF, internal resistance and short-circuit current(sorry i didnt mention the short circuit current before)
Ok. Start by drawing a circuit diagram.
Calculate current I in both the cases using Ohm's law.
Gustavs1337 said:
I = EMF/R+r
You know R and I for two measurements. You havd two unknowns Emf and r.
Form two simultaneous equations with two unknowns from the given measurements and solve them.

Do you want me to show you the diagram? I cannot show you but i have it drawn. The I in both cases are 1.2 and 0.76 ohms.
1.2=x:(3+y)
0.76=x:(5+y) do you mean like this? How to solve them? Do i use the sum method or something?

Ok i get it now, thanks. I think i can calculate emf and r now from the equations.

1. What is EMF and how does it relate to internal resistance?

EMF stands for electromotive force and is the potential difference created by a battery or power source. Internal resistance is the resistance within the battery itself, which can cause a decrease in the EMF.

2. How does internal resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

Internal resistance can cause a voltage drop within the circuit, leading to a decrease in the overall voltage and therefore a decrease in the circuit's performance. It can also lead to the battery heating up and decreasing its lifespan.

3. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be affected by its chemical composition, temperature, and age. Higher temperatures and older batteries tend to have higher internal resistance, leading to a decrease in performance.

4. How can we measure the internal resistance of a battery?

One way to measure the internal resistance of a battery is by using a multimeter and measuring the voltage drop across a known resistor. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

5. Can internal resistance be reduced or eliminated?

Internal resistance cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using batteries with lower internal resistance or by using multiple batteries in parallel to decrease the overall internal resistance. However, this reduction may also lead to a decrease in the overall EMF of the circuit.