Calculating Energy and Power in an Inductive Circuit

In summary, the battery has delivered energy to the circuit up to this point. The current through the battery is 7.4 amps and the EMF is 12 volts. The inductor has a magnetic field that has been able to store energy and deliver it back to the circuit. The resistor has been able to dissipate some of the energy that was delivered to the circuit.
lcam2

Homework Statement

In a circuit composed of a battery a resistor and an inductor, the EMF from the battery is 12 V and the resistor has a resistance is 7.4 Ω. The inductor consists of a long, thin cylindrical coil of wire with 20000 turns, a radius of 5 cm and a length of 61 cm.

Answer the following questions for a time 1.2 seconds after the battery has been connected.

(a) What is the inductance of the solenoid?
(b) What is the current through the battery?
(c) How much energy has been delivered by the battery up to this point?
(d) How much of that energy is stored in the magnetic field of the inductor?
(e) How much of that energy was dissipated by the resistor?
(f) What is the energy density of the magnetic field in the solenoid?
(g) What is the strength of the magnetic field near the center of the coil?

Homework Equations

Inductance of a Solenoid
L=N^2*A*[tex]\mu[/tex]/l

Area circle A=[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2

Time constant
[tex]\tau[/tex]=L/R

Energy stored on a magnetic field
U=(1/2) Li^2

The Attempt at a Solution

In part (a) i used the Inductance of a solenoid
(b) I used Time constant equation and i=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]/r(1-e^(-t/[tex]\tau[/tex])

(c) for part c i was trying to use
P= i^2*V but i didnt' work.
the problem states
HELP: How do you calculate the power produced by a battery from its current and EMF? This will give you the energy per unit time produced by the battery.
HELP: How are power, time, and energy related? (Yes, you're going to have to do an integral.)

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is someone Willing to help me??

Hi lcam2 :smile:

Work done by battery is defined as qE
where q is charge delivered by battery and E is EMF

now for power, P = dW/dt = iE

Now sure but give it a try

1. What is stored magnetic energy?

Stored magnetic energy refers to the energy that is stored in a magnetic field. This energy is a result of the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within a magnetic field.

2. How is stored magnetic energy used in everyday life?

Stored magnetic energy is used in a variety of everyday devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in technology like MRI machines, speakers, and credit cards.

3. How is stored magnetic energy different from other forms of energy?

Stored magnetic energy is a type of potential energy, meaning it is energy that is stored and waiting to be released. Other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy, are actively being used or transferred.

4. How is stored magnetic energy measured?

Stored magnetic energy is measured in joules (J), the unit of energy. The amount of energy stored in a magnetic field is dependent on factors such as the strength of the magnetic field and the number of charged particles within it.

5. Can stored magnetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, stored magnetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy through the use of devices such as generators and transformers. These devices can convert the energy in a magnetic field into electrical energy that can be used to power various devices and systems.